Sunday, July 16, 2006

happiness is.....

- 46 weeks
- the cat, even though he has decided that this awful heat and humidity is my problem and must be fixed now thankyouverymuch
- getting the first round of virtual paperwork done for my residency applications
- iced coffee with a hint of milk and dash of sugar
- real brewed iced tea with fresh lemon

Summer has arrived here in the Northeast - and I hate to say that I won't be sorry when it's gone. I like the sun and am glad that I can wear sandals again, but the damp and sticky air is draining all motivation for me to be packing and moving things. Right now my car is half full with boxes that need to be gone through and repacked, and a whole 'nother load (or two, or three) are waiting in various places for their turn to be dumped out onto the floor and resorted. (how, exactly, did it come to this? where did all of this stuff come from? I've obviously been through it all before (at some point during one of the six moves in the past three years) but I still question why I held onto certain things. On the upside I did find my Ann Bud's Handy Guide book (missing since last summer) and a few cds that I thought were long gone.)

(I would feel differently about the heat if I were by a lake and had nothing better to do than read books, knit and sip iced tea, taking a break to jump into the water every now and then...)

I am unsure what to do with all of my yarn...I'm torn between putting all but a few projects into storage OR selling what I no longer love here. Generally I still like what I have, but the Rowan Big Wool in berry red will probably never be knit into a flattering sweater, and the Debbie Bliss Cotton/Wool never seems to beat out my wools for time on the needles. After hearing (and experiencing) horror stories about Bartlett yarn guages it was put at the bottom of the bin and won't become a Rogue afterall. I also have some random sock yarns that seemed like great ideas at the time (enough for two socks - not my favorite collection of one'skeins) and some cottons for kids projects that have yet to happen. I've toyed with the idea of boxing it all up and sending it to Camp Sunshine (they are always looking for knitting supplies) but I'm not 100% sold on that either. (It might be selfish but I don't want to put a sweaters worth of yarn into the mail to Camp Sunshine without knowing what it will become...yes, beginners should learn with the best, but it just feels funny...)

If you are interested in any of the above let me know (medstudentwhoknits at removethis yahoo ) and I can send you pictures (though it might take a day or two to get the camera/laptop/internet thing figured out; I am now writing this from the cathouse computer with dial-up). I don't have any prices set or ideas of what to "charge" but I will say that I'm not out to make a huge profit, just to find good homes for yarn.

(and cover shipping, as a student's budget doesn't allow for such things, especially after today's $995 charge for one of my board exams. Before I can graduate I must pass the "PE" (or physical exam) skills part of the boards - essentially a 7 hour test with actor patients in a simulated clinic so I can prove that I can talk to patients and make good clincial decisions in the time allotted. In order to take it I have to trek to the one testing center in the US and I put off scheduling it because I didn't want to have it sitting on my credit card, but the NBOME keeps sending me emails that make it sound like I won't! get! a! spot! and! it! could! affect! my! graduation! so I went ahead and registered. November 2nd I'll be in Philly from 2-9:30pm. Anyone wanna do lunch? or visit yarn stores?)

The paperwork aspect of my residency applications got pushed aside once I started "moving" things and today I sat down to work on it. I'm not sure how knitting and spinning will work it's way into my personal statement, but I'm sure it will. The whole process of "The Match" is an essay in itself but I find comfort in knowing those that have gone before me (Theresa, EtherKnitter, The Knitting Doctor and everyone else that I've forgotten (it's the heat, really)) lived through the process.

(I could have a multilevel countdown going - one for November 2nd PE boards, One for Feb 12th (Match Day for the oste0pathz (spelling such that I don't get googled for it) and then the ongoing countdown for graduation (46 weeks - did I say that already?). I need to take the other part of step II (computer multiple choice testing ... I'll try to hide my excitement) but that means registering for it (another $495 - yay for credit cards!) and then finding the time to study for it.)

They say fourth year is the best year - so far, it's just been the most expensive.

My spinning was getting more even and I was having a good time playing around with raw wool, but then my Robin's driveband broke. It was due to be replaced (secondary to being stretched out) but I think the trip to this house in a hot car finally did it in. I've emailed to see about getting a new one and will send the broken one off to it's new home. (the snakepit home for broken drivebands...)

I have been knitting and working on several projects, but they are surprises and not things to be posted about yet. (I could use that as an excuse for no pictures...say, let me do that. There aren't any pictures because it would spoil the surprises...)

Needless to say I am looking forward to the last two weeks of my third year (the last two weeks of my family practice rotation) and will be glad when things are packed and organized.

13 Comments:

Blogger bslawg said...

How much of the Rowan big wool do you have?

I just did a fantastic sweater (in about a week and a half) with the big wool. Only problem? 18 skiens.

I may be interested...like I need more yarn.

5:21 PM  
Blogger soapy said...

med usually put people into debt!
Best wishes to a successful year for you!
Hmm big wool in red just my color too! and sock yarn can you really have enough of that...lol

5:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Darn! I think I'm going to be in Phila. on the 4th for a conference. If you stick around a couple of days, I'd totally be up for a yarn crawl.

I'm loving the iced tea too!

7:43 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

I feel like the most delicate flower who wonders how she lived in NJ for so many years and actually survived. Evenings are my favorite part of the day.

Bartlett? What kind of Bartlett? Could I have a look? Maybe you can come over (do you have time?) for grilled cheese and 'mater soup before you set off on your grand adventures. I just can get over the cost of these exams. Craziness.

8:07 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

That would be "can't". Of course.

8:07 PM  
Blogger JayJay said...

Having spent the last few weeks living out of boxes I feel your pain. Ugh, those tests really are way too expensive!

10:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know now (obviously) when I'll be able to get out of lab, but I'd be happy to show you the Philly LYSes if I can.

10:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I think I have 44 weeks or so (May 19)! We can count down together.

I may be interested in Bartlett, depending on what it is... Or sock yarn. Always need more sock yarn.

2:10 PM  
Blogger LadyLungDoc said...

Can you give a bit more info on the debbie bliss cotton/wool and the sock yarn? Please email me at hotmail.

4th year is like being a teenager - at the time, it sucks. Years later, it seemed like it was such a fun and carefree time.

12:04 AM  
Blogger Kris said...

I could help releive you of the bartletts and any sock yarn.

Good luck with The Match! I am dreading it for hubby. Thankfully we have just over a year and a half before that particular form of hell. The Step 1 exam results showed up today and I am dying. I told him I wouldn't open them. BUT. IT. IS. KILLING. ME!

4:49 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Short comment since I'm on call, but enjoy enjoy enjoy 4th year. Internship is so different.

9:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, you have a lot on your plate!

This is Knitster Chelle on an Amazing Lace pitstop. Congrats on getting thru your third year. Happy Fourth.

I love your lace poem.

1:11 PM  
Blogger A said...

Just wanted to comment and say good luck to you in the residency application process. My mother is a nurse practitioner whose office is part of a residency program and who also works with a lot of med students. She always talks about the craziness that is this time of year and the craziness of "the match". Again...good luck with it all@

10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home