Thursday, June 08, 2006

Lyle it is.

what started as a bit of a joke has become reality. Lyle Louet is a hardworking, no'frills sort of standard, much like Lyle Lovett's music. (I do not like country music - his most recent albums have been great combinations of bluesy folk music with great storytelling lyrics. No twang. Only a few lost girls. Sofar as I know, no dying dogs.)


spindle vs. wheel (thin and fairly consistent on the spindle, uneven but faster on the wheel)



a bit blurry, but a better idea of the colors. The brown "yarn" is from a beautiful jacob roving that has been fun to play with.

I was warned that wheel spinning would be intially frustrating, and that I should resist the urge to pitch it out the window. Good advice, but it isn't helping my want to be good at spinning - something that I know will come with time. I need to do some reading about what things like "ratios" mean, and how to best "read" the wheel and my spinning. Plying is something I will tackle only after I do some series research, or find someone who can help me with the process.

I am behind in just about everything right now (in life as well as school and other aspects of goingson) and sitting behind* the wheel, as frustrating as it was to have to join fiber over and over again, was a nice break. I think it's the start of a great relationship...

(* irony not lost on me.)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, love the new wheel! I'm jealous. I was thisclose to buying one over Christmas, and then panicked because I ddin't have the space. Next year I'm moving in with the BF and we found an INSANELY HUGE place, so maybe...seeing your wheel makes me jealous! How is the end of your third year?? I'm ready to be done with third year....

9:10 PM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

Your wheel spinning is looking very good, Kristen. It might not be as thin as you want but it looks very even to me and that should be your goal. Patience and time will make all the difference.

6:38 AM  
Blogger Hannah said...

Plying is easy and helps even out any thick-and-think patches in your early spinning. Try putting a bobbing in a bowl on each side of you, putting yarn from each through your hand with a finger separating them, and start spinning. (If beforehand you let a piece of singles fold over and ply onto itself, it will give you an idea of how much twist to shoot for.)

Ratios are like bike gears. If you have a ratio of 6, it means that every time you rotate the drive wheel, the bobbin rotates 6 times. So the slower your ratio, the longer you have to draft. If you are shooting for a thin yarn, a higher ratio might help--but as a beginner myself, I really prefer the big whorl with the low ratio.

See if you can find a copy of the DVD or video Spinning Wool by Patsy Zawistoski. It is in many public libraries.

Good luck! Your spinning looks great so far!

7:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you are Fiber Frolic-ing today, find a blogger, find a wheel, and get a five minute lesson/exposition. Plying will come later.

It looks excellent for first wheel spun. One of the most freeing things you can do in your life is to lower your initial self-expectations and learn to forgive your learning curve.

6:18 AM  
Blogger Lucia said...

What Laurie and everyone else said. I was at the Frolic yesterday (should have emailed you, sorry) and didn't buy any fiber, having an embarrassingly large stash already, but there was lots to be had. I hope you find/found some good stuff.

8:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home