Sunday, June 18, 2006

50 weeks.

Today was a fabulous day, and now that the reality of the weekend ending has begun to set in, I'm finding myself wanting to do something, anything, to hold onto parts of it. How can I keep the joy that comes with paddling a canoe on a beautiful lake and watching the sun set (like a golden orb) from the shore? I want to keep the taste of grilled salmon and fresh rubarb compote on my tounge, and replay the sound of happy, purring cats over and over and over again.

Things that have felt up in the air and out of control weren't at the front of my mind this weekend, and now that questions and concerns are starting to eep back into my thoughts, I find myself feeling ungrounded and frustrated. This will pass, I know that, and I'll use this as a chance to work on holding onto the good stuff and remembering that there will be a house (that needs sitting on) near a lake again in the future. This week is a big week in terms of what happens next in one aspect of my life; there will be more answers soon.

Last weekend was the Fiber Frolic, and I happened to be in the right place at the right time.



I'd like you to meet Robin. She's a Gil Gonsalves wheel and I love her. (warning: the main site has music playing) The whole story starts in November of last year, when Kellee posted that she had tried one of his wheels. I wanted one then, but it seemed a little drastic to put myself on his 2 year wait-list when I wasn't even sure if I'd like spinning.

I can say, with absolute certainty, that I love to spin. Sitting down with Lyle the Louet has been almost magical, and spinning on Robin is simply a dream come true. I was in the right place at the right time and got a deal on a used wheel that came without the waitlist wait and I can't be happier about the whole thing. (no, Robin isn't going to go with me around the northeast next year; Lyle will go with me.)

I might not be able to hold onto the sunset of this evening, or recall what a purring happy cat sounds like in a split second, but I can sit down to spin and feel the wonder creep in to replace the doubts and questions. The right place and the right time are only as far away as my closest wheel. And for that I am grateful.

15 Comments:

Blogger Kathy said...

Congrats on the new wheel! It's a beauty.

12:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful wheel !

4:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The wheel is GORGEOUS!!! Hope that this week is calm and that the answers are what you desire.

4:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful baby. Need a wheel sitter? Heh.

5:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never thought I'd want or need another wheel (I have a lendrum) but oh my god that wheel is beautiful! Damn. I mean, er, congratulations. Use it well!

6:30 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Yay! It must feel good, eh?
Sounds like the perfect weekend, Kristen.

7:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - Robin is stunning! Lyle will not go unused I'm sure of it - but wow, I'm drooling on this end :) Enjoy - Sara
www.saraskates.typepad.com

7:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remeber sitting on the hill near "my" lake and thinking that I had to imprint that view, that feeling into my brain because it would not last forever. I know just how you feel.

The wheel is beautiful. I saw one when we were at the Door County market and thought it was amazing. Congrats! Isn't spinning the best? :-)

7:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How the heck did I miss you getting this wheel??? I am so happy for you! Did you know it was the 14th one he made?? (I'm assuming this is the one that was for sale at the marketplace). You got a great deal on it! CONGRATS!

9:29 AM  
Blogger Martha said...

Congratulations--that wheel's a beaut!

9:52 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

I want grilled salmon and canoeing! (Guess I'll have to settled for Ahi and kayaks, huh?) Glad you're having fun.

12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my good jesus christ.

Oh my GOOD jesus christ.

you bought it.

holy shit.

5:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is one damn fine wheel! lucky girl!

9:39 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

Well, well, well. And people think *I'm* bad. Heh.

3:46 PM  
Blogger Baycolonyfarm said...

You are so lucky! I paid for my wheel in full 19 months ago, and am still waiting (I've been on his list since 2000, but due to finances, every time he had a wheel ready for me, I didn't have the cash ready).

I'm seriously jealous! :)

6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home