Sunday, November 06, 2005

happiness is....

- standing in front of the dishwasher during the "heat dry" cycle
- knowing I can still pull and an nighter to write a paper and still function the next day

(The Friday morning sunrise as seen across our front yard; I was up tweaking the paper I had to hand in that morning.)

- my extra car key; something I needed when my key broke in the lock yesterday
- putting on a pair of clean jeans and finding a freshly laundered $20
- finding another 4 skeins of a yarn (in the same dyelot and during a random two day sale) that I needed to match the 6 I bought (on sale) last January
- knitted fairisle catnip toys

(catnip-less catnip cat toys; they'll be stuffed before heading out to their new homes. (The yarns I posted last week were hand dyed in the crockpot and all of them were used here.))

the toys willed be heading off to cats I've taken care of this fall. They were a great excuse for me to work on my fair isling and have given me a heads-up for what I need to work on as I get started on the colorwork part of the fair isle hat. I finally feel comfortable working with yarn in both of my hands though my "picking" still isn't as second nature as my throwing is. I knit these on dpn's because I hope to knit the hat up on dpn's; 16 inch circulars just aren't as practical as double pointeds and it I get into and it looks too tight I can always take it out and start over.

I've been working on a few things but there isn't a whole lot to write home about. My "so called scarf" is still growing and a trekking sock I started on size 2's lasted only as long as the day I carried it around. It looks like I'm finally going to need to drop down to the popular-in-blogland size 1's in order to get a more "sock-like" fabric. I'm not sure why it changed but my knitting on the 2s was too loose! (It was knit during a stressful-ish day in a busy doctors office so I was surprised it was too loose....)

My $1 crockpot has been busy with dyed yarn and I hope to share pictures of my latest attempts after what is in there now cools down and the sun comes out. Trying to get "true" pictures on drab days is tough. (that and some other swatching for a potential sweater are keeping me busy...)

My obstetrics rotation starts tomorrow and I'm excited to spend some time on labor and delivery. (I may stalk Kristin and Mia for advice!) My manipulation rotation is over - it ended on a good note and my presentation went well. Overall I had a good three weeks and I saw several examples of how different doctors offices work; all in all I still see myself in the type of practice I was drawn to before, and hope to remain in academic medicine.

I've been musing over the language of medicine and will elaborate on that in the near future; I'm hoping to gain some more experience with the words of birth and how the field of medicine (and coding and billing) turns logic on it's head.

Those who are here in this state - please remember to vote on Tuesday! Let's not let the fear that some have stand in the way of equal rights for everyone. (Pocketfarm Liz has some additional info on this issue)

4 Comments:

Blogger LauraJ said...

You might like this. Could be handy, who knows? http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=60206.0

7:04 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Wasn't Friday's sunrise stunning? (although much too brief).
I'm not feeling good about the election on Tuesday, but I'm trying to be positive...there is too much hatred in the world, and it just sickens me that they might "win".

7:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dying in a second hand crockpot is a great idea! When I worked in a costume shop we did our dying in what was basicly a huge, bathtub size crockpot. My boss told me that she had once cooked a hundred brats in it for a big theater picnic. :)

8:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH! The cat toys. So cute.

1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home