Thursday, October 06, 2005

I've been knitting - honest!


to the right, the purple blueberry mash color, overdyed with some brilliant blue. On the left is a hank of (twinkletoes?) sock yarn that used to be bright, bright, bright (think obnoxious) red and purple; thanks to some blue dye now it's a toned down maroon color and blueish purple. (note to self: do not dye any more sock yarn blue or purple. You have enough. Really.)



on the needles is a sock in Lorna's Laces "Crazy Stripe." I'm past the heel and working on the gusset now. The flowers are on loan from my parents; the blooms will be wintering here this year.



it's a sleeve! This is not for the faint of heart, or experienced knitting critics. I used a generic top down raglan pattern for the body, and then lost the "pattern" I'd created. This sleeve was a study knitting project yesterday; my chant when something like this: if it looks too big, decrease on a few rows. If it looks too small it's probably just about right. I didn't write any numbers down, didn't keep track of the decreases and only did rough "fittings" to see if it was long enough. I made the decision last night (around midnight) that it has too much studying knit into it, and that if it fits I'm just going to leave it. This sweater has been an exercise in many, many things and right now I just want it done!


the reason why I didn't get a very good "natural light" shot: I'm tied to the chair I've been studying in.



I forgot how fast these little hats went! Studying 8-10 hours a day means that I have lots of time for "mindless" knitting, and so I've started working on charity hats again. The colors are off because the sun is gone from the sky and natural light is hard to come by. (the ones on the right are various shades of purple, teal and seafoam - who says bargin partly acrylic yarn store yarn isn' t good for anything!?)

My studying is still going but I'm ready to be done with the books. The boards are next Tuesday and Wednesday - two 8 hour days of questions and filling in bubbles that I will (hopefully) fly through without any problems. Right now I am tired and most of the knowledge I have in my head is beginning to get mixed up, which isn't helping my stress level. I've had a few moments of feeling completely out of control with this situation but thanks to a cleverly timed acupuncture appointment and the cats I'm taking care of I've come out of them okay.

Life has a funny way of getting in the way though, and my emotions have been all over the map for other, more personal reasons. A friend of our family - someone I've always known and loved as a family member - is living with or dying of cancer. She's young, has three children that stairstep my brothers and I and has been doing the best she can to stay on top of her illness. Unfortunetly the illness is getting the best of her. She has had a few hard days this week and I've been there to do what I can - which in some cases is nothing more then sit nearby and knit a sock. Knitting seems natural in this situation and I thought back to how some rediscovered yarn and knitting needles while helping a family memeber through this end of life process. I will not regret the times I've spent with her instead of studying, but when I do sit down to study it's hard to focus on the page and learn what is in front of me. My mom is stepping in to be on duty tomorrow and other family members will be in so that I won't be called again until after the test is over, but truth be told I'm still with her in spirit.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have a lot on your plate right now. I hope the coming days will be productive and as stress-free as possible. I can tell you are a gifted, caring physician. Remember that as you slog through!

9:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just thinking of you the other day and wondering when your boards were due. Keep focused and strong, through what is a now an even more complex time.

Fingers crossed for you.

Love that striped sweater!

4:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blue and purple, eh? I'm almost starting to think you like those colors. ;-)

6:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are with you.

7:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are in my thoughts a lot these days. Really pulling for you, as are many. Study hard, rest well, be well.

7:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear of your friend's illness - my thoughts are with both of you. Good luck :o)

8:29 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Even though you have so much going on in your life right now, you are a much, much more productive knitter than I. Hope the boards go smoothly, and I'll be thinking of you and your friend.

And you can never have too much blue or purple. Just saying. :)

10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Knitting socks got me through the long ordeal of my mothers death and my father-in-laws, too. They give us peace and a place for our minds to find a hold.
Your sweater looks great and I love the overdye job. Knit on. Study well.

11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang in there, you will be great on the boards, and I'm keeping your friend in my thoughts. Is it just me, or does EVERYONE have cancer?? Got a few in my family too...

5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home