Sunday, October 16, 2005

happiness is...

- getting back into the clinics/hospital tomorrow
- homemade meatloaf and green beans
- the promise that the sun will come out
- a finished pair of socks
- a trip to the KnitLit 3 party this week

My high hopes of spinning this weekend were thwarted by sock knitting that I couldn't put down. The simplicity of knitting in the round with dpn's was soothing and less troublesome then me trying to establish a new leader for my spindle. It's zenlike after I get it going, but starting was just a bit overwelming. I haven't given up spindling, I've just set it aside for another rainy day. (it has been raining here for the past few days and it's still pouring here right now...)

Another thing that is going to be put aside is the striped sweater. In the evergoing battle of K vs. the sweater (round 6?) yesterday I threw my hands up in the air and admitted defeat. I finished mattress stitching the sleeve seams and then tried it on; the simple act of putting it on resulted in me growing webbed arms. I knit it while studying and my go with the flow-ness isn't resulting in a rewarding outcome - the raglan shapping appears to be too big (even though it was based on another sweater that fits wonderfully) and that, combined with my too sharp decreases, is a problem. A webbed arm problem. (there will be no pictures of me wearing it - just trust me, and think of a duck's feet.)



I retreated to my socks, and think I'll stick with them for the next few days. Even though the boards are over I've been processing and thinking about a lot of things, and that doesn't bode well for complicated knitting projects. (nevermind that the three sweaters I've made for me have all had disasterous/interesting/not-so-fashionable outcomes. Claudia's rules of wonkiness are true here and even though there aren't knitting police, I need to find a pattern that I love that will look as good on me as some of my storebought sweaters do. The quest continues....)

As a student with a somewhat "limited" budget I invested in several single skeins of Lorna's Laces in hopes that I could make a pair of socks from them. (a few of them were bought from a bargin bin when there was only one of each colorway.) Using size 2 (US) and 56 stitches, a 5 1/2 inch cuff and a sock long enough to fit my size 8 foot, I can make two socks from one hank and still have a leeetle bit left over. Success! another reason for me to stick with socks.


the stripes do line up and the colors are a bit brighter; the lack of sun made taking the picture hard! Lorna's Laces, crazy stripe

Tomorrow I'm heading back into the world of patients and I think I'm ready for my three week elective. I've been liberal with my nap-taking and it's going to be hard to give up sleeping in but it didn't take very long for my internal clock to switch back to "work" mode and I'm hoping it kicks in this time around. My knitting time will be decreased but I'll bring my needles with me and knit when I can.

I hope everyone who was at Rhinebeck had a grand time and I'm looking forward to hearing all of the stories and seeing the wares.

5 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

Yum...meatloaf. I made chili today because I had to have something to warm me up from this damn grey drip.

The socks look great...and from one skein! (oh, for smaller feet) but I'm sorry to hear the sweater is still giving you troubles. Webbed arms. That's really too bad. Although somewhat entertaining.

3:23 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Sorry about the sweater. It's gorgeous, though.

Love the socks, too! I love the color!

10:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, love the socks! I have been wanting meatloaf as well...

8:38 AM  
Blogger J. said...

I am so sorry to hear that it is webbed because I still love it... and want one of my own. We missed you this weekend but (Cate, Sara and I, just to name a few) but it just means that we will have to get together for somthing else. Hope your next rotation is great.

8:32 AM  
Blogger Dana S. Whitney said...

Just wanted to say that I completely understand and feel the same about the lively bits of Handel's Messiah. (The Roches do For Unto Us... a capella... just the 3 women, I think.... toe-tapping joy...
I'll be back. enjoy the clinics.

2:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home