Wednesday, October 26, 2005

what's in a name?

is it a bad thing if I want to order a hat kit because the pattern name is "Kristen?" (scroll down; it isn't my favorite pattern there but it's not half bad and the name is growing on me...)

I want to fair isle; this isn't a new want, just something I'm returning to because it's going to be cold(er) soon and I thought mastering the technique on a hat might be good practice for a (future) sweater. And....if I order the hat pattern and an extra skein of yarn or two then I could then use a pattern repeat or variation on a pair of self-designed mittens for the warm hands knitalong. (or I could just order the hat kit and then use some matching yarn from my stash...)

Names have always been important to me, and I think I can trace my interest in unusual names back to a summer writing camp I attending. The professors wove interesting tidbits into their lectures and one of our exercises was to start an "idea" notebook and write down interesting names of things so that we'd have a reference for our future works. They started us off by sharing some of their great finds and I hit the ground running that first day. I loved and still love the idea and for years had lists of historic, creative and classic names for people and places. (My future children will all have pronouncable names that are somewhat easy to spell, I promise.) I am no longer keeping lists (too many moves) but a few of my favorites no longer need to be written down for me to remember.

I've been known to pick a paint color because I like the name, and it can be a tie-breaker for yarn colors I'm choosing between. Last year my parents took my birthday request for a new teapot seriously and chose one that had a name that is meaningful for me - either it runs in the family or my name collecting is contageous.

Now that I'm fairly certain I'm going to order the hat (it was between Kristen or Ufserud or the "traditonal" hat) but now what colors....

5224? 5813? 6031? 7032?

I do much better with name colors then I do number colors....

12 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

You should definitely order the Kristen hat.

12:44 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Yep. Order the Kristen hat. My color vote is 7032, but they all look nice :-)

1:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

kristen hat, 'cause of the name but it is also very pretty...

3:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're a brave one, attempting Fair Isle. I've been avoiding it like the plague. I'll be interested to see how it goes.

6:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're a brave one, attempting Fair Isle. I've been avoiding it like the plague. I'll be interested to see how it goes.

6:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the hat! And yes, names are very important. Fair isle is something I need to try soon...

10:01 AM  
Blogger LauraJ said...

Go wild. _Kristen_ is fine to look at. I might be tempted by Ufserud, but they are all rather fine. Remember to kind of spread the knitted row behind you as you go. You are brave.It should look great on you.

10:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well you could always play the four numbers in the Lottery and see which one is 'the winner'.

10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like both hats, although if I did the Kristen hat I'd be inclined to reverse the light and dark in the pattern (just a suggestion, your tastes may vary).

I had a friend once who felt so strongly about names that when considering a move to a town with a hideous name, she got horribly hung up on it. In a way, though, I couldn't blame her -- there really is a lot to a name.

10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm obsessed with names, too, and I make no promises that my future children will have names that anyone has used in the past hundred years...but at least I can inflict the real oddities on knit designs! :) I have an entry for your medical knowledge gathering: I'll bet you already know this, but I just learned the word vagitus, which means a baby's first cry (from the Latin vagire, "to wail"). There's even the rare vagitus uterinus, which has been observed on occasions when the membranes rupture, allowing air to enter the uterine cavity.

11:00 AM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Names are very important. The Young'un's name is one that we arrived at after months of snorting, "Are you KIDDING?!?" at each other ... still not my favorite, but after three years it's his, and he's mine, so there you are.

Love the Kristen hat. Which colorway depends -- what color is your winter coat? I'd go with a nice cranberry/cream myself, but that's because the "Flenten" hat would go *perfectly* with my Selbu mittens ...

7:30 PM  
Blogger Nikki said...

I think 6031 would go nicely with either of the first two.

I love "Kristen," but "Flenten" is also pretty cool.

Now I'm all tempted to order a kit! NOOOO....I have so much Christmas knitting to do, must focus. ;o)

P.S. Thanks for visiting my blog. Knowing I have an audience is a great motivator to write!

6:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home