Thursday, October 13, 2005

done!

I considered trying to write something last night, after it was over but truthfully it would have looked a lot like this:

test = done.
brain = mush.
me = exhausted.

Then I tried to go to bed but instead of sleeping found myself knitting with a second wind. I then hopped around to see what had been going on in the blog-world and eventually feel into a deep sleep that was only shattered with dreams of being late to the exam (twice) and getting back some not so great results (once). These nightmares have been regular visitors for the past week or two but now when I wake up worried that I am indeed late I'll simply remember that I'm done! Done! For now anyway...

Overall I feel better this time then I did last time, but know that I still guessed on many of the questions. Some of the case studies were very poorly written, and questions repeated themselves across the four test booklets. There are always themes that emerge and usually they have something to do with the medical climate at the time that the test questions are written. I had 6+ questions on erectile dysfunction. The results will take ~8 weeks to get back to me and by then my anxiety will hadissipatedted and what happens will happen. With any luck I'll have made it through and will be able to move on. (I missed it by a few questions last time so I was close - very close.)

An email from Cate confirmed that her mom is indeed the Latin teacher I was channeling while I tried to make out the words I'd never seen before, and she tacked in a little "if you can make it to here we can take you to Rhinebeck" offer towards the end. Between that and an offer from my friend grad student Kate it's hard to say no...very hard to say no. However, I have enough going on here to keep me busy for the next few days and I've made reservations at Chez Etherknitter for next Tuesday (I've heard horrible things about their cancellation policy) so I can be present at the Willows shindig (there's going to be cake!). This weekend (admist errands, laundry, picking up/putting away study materials, etc) I hope to dye some more yarn, and rediscover my drop spindle. I'll spin in honor of those who are buying wool and those who are learning how to spin. I'm planning on ignoring the idea that I could be there so that I can enjoy the reports without thinking "I could have been there..."

And, well, I've spent a lot of money on studying compensation yarn because I wasn't counting on going to NY. You know the skeins that I search the internet for during my equally spaced study breaks; the hanks of yarn that I have a set price for, and once I find it lower then that, I can invest? I've learned a lot about buying yarn over the internet and now have some very defined opinions on shipping (did you know yarn from a popular NYC yarn shop is being shipped via UPS ground (more expensive then usps) from California and it's going to take 10+ days to get here?) and prices of shipping. That being said, I highly recommend Two Swans Yarns. Right now they're having a sale on any orange yarn, including a beautiful color of new Lorna's Laces. (I can say that with certainty because a few hanks were waiting for me when I got back last night). I'm not a rep and won't get anything from this, I simply wanted to share my very positive experience. (Washington state people will have their purchase discounted by the amount of the sales tax - just one example of how she'll go out of her way!)

I don't have a whole lot of knitting to show, but that should change in the next day or two. Cara's button band has me rethinking my possible I-cord edging on the striped sweater and I'm going to need to do some more thinking about it before I dig in and start picking up stitches. I started a pair of socks in the blueberry mash colored yarn and am enjoying how it looks all knit up. (the sheer amount of sock yarn I've invested in means that I will, from here til it's almost gone, always have a pair of socks on the needles. You won't hear any complaining from me!)

Thank you, again and again, for all of the positive studying thoughts, good luck vibes, knitting needle waves and stitches knit in honor of the boards. I'd be lying if I said that knitting and sweater design and socks didn't enter my mind during the exam, and at one point drew out a cardigan sweater with pseduo-cables as a mental break. Knitting has, at some point along the way, become a part of my life, and I'm grateful for the people I've met that feel the same way. Thank you.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahh...what a great image of you doodling away with sweater designs mid-test :) I'm channeling all the "pass pass pass" vibes I can from me to the computer counting the bubble codes...and welcome back to real life!!! Sara
www.glbt-knit.com/saras
saraterry at gmail dotcom

4:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll totally second Two Swans Yarns - I gifted some yarn from there and they were fast - and cheap. A GREAT price on LL and I don't think it was a sale.

Good luck with the sweater - glad I could inspire you a bit.

5:59 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Glad it is over. I have been thinking of you.

6:45 PM  
Blogger Katy said...

Hooray! It's over!
Sorry I won't get to meet you at Rhinebeck, but there will be other gatherings in New England.
Take some time to relax!

8:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those philistines over at Chez Etherknitter...is it really worth all that just to get some cake?

8:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! Congratulations on being _done_. And I'm hoping for you it's done well.
Seconding Katy that it's too bad I won't get to meet you, but it sounds like you have a good time planned.
Enjoy being done!

9:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad it's over! Do you mean the Knitlit 3 launch party thing? I'm going too... we should try to meet up.

8:48 AM  
Blogger Danielle said...

Hope you get to catch up on your rest a bit ... can't wait to see all the socks you'll be knitting...

1:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on getting through it all. Hope so much you passed, and - in the meantime - enjoy knitting!

12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home