Sunday, October 23, 2005

happiness is...


- yarn from my sock-yarn-scrap pal Amy!



- my snowman flannel pants and my new green shoes (though they are pictured here as appearing to be a part of one outfit, they are not usually worn together)



- the "found" part of the ongoing battle known as "lost and found." My spindle is no longer MIA, the pair of "snipettes" is now safely attatched to my knitting bag with a red ribbon, and my sock (in the process of turning a heel) and all four dpns have been rescued from my medstudent bag. (no telling if I'll be able to recover the potentially dropped stitches but it's worth the risk to have a sock with me at all times. Not pictured but also "found" is my cell phone wallplug. I can now recieve AND make calls!

Somehow it went from Thursday-that-felt-like-Friday to being Sunday night. How does that happen?

The endless weekends of rain combined with the relative “let-down” of being done with the studying for boards and still not knowing how I did has led me to feel a bit melancholy. Fearing the downward spiral similar to what has been known to happen in the past I found myself at a fabric store last week during my “lunch” break. (essentially they locked me out of the office when I ran to get my lunch from the car and it wasn’t opened up again till patients arrived at 1:00pm.) I was drawn to colors that don’t normally stir me – oranges, bright yellows and a lime green. I have lots and lots and lots of fabric for quilting, but none of it was immediately available so I picked and chose and matched and paired and left with several new fabrics, their destiny uncertain.

Yesterday I headed to my parents house, one of the only places I know of where the sewing machine has a semi-permanent spot in the family room and is always accessible. While in almost constant conversation with my mom I cut and put and moved and eventually sewed strips of fabric together. I didn’t think I was aiming for a “theme” that matched the season, but that’s what happened so I went with it.





the "leaves" of the "tree." These were taken with overhead lights and the flash, so the colors aren't true and don't really "shine" as they do in person.

Historically, across almost all crafty genres, I have awful cases of finishers regret; nothing ever looks like I think it will and I can always seem to find something wrong with the finished product. This was no exception as I sat looking at a few pieces that just didn’t fit in when it was almost said and done. My mom, knowing me well, encouraged me to leave it and come back today to see it with a pair of fresh eyes. (I left joking that if she could find a wall to put it on she could have it, she thought that perhaps a night away from the project would change my mind.) She was right and now there is a splash of color on my otherwise drab white walls.

I am waaaay behind in my emails, phone calls, blog reading and replying; finding the balance between my own time and wants with the needs of each rotation and amount of sleep I’ve been getting each night is a tricky game and I’ll admit that I still don’t have it figured out. I’m working on it but am afraid that some of my friends and family just aren’t sure what to do with me these days and a few are almost certainly convinced I’ve fallen out of earth’s gravitational field. I tend to pull in when I’m overwhelmed, and now is about the time I wish I could hibernate for a few months; that doesn’t help. At some point I’ll get and feel caught up but for now please accept my apology if I owe you an email, a response or a rambling. I’ll get there…!

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the way your quilt/hanging came out!

I would go nuts if I didn't have things on my walls.

5:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I love the colors, and the square leaves. Take a look again, you will love it too. And if not, you can always send it my way. :)

7:26 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

The snowman pants are too cute for words and I LOVE the green shoes! What kind of shoes are they? They kind of look like Lands End mocs.

7:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH wow! I LOVE that quilt thingie--how big is it?? Its goregous!!!
Hang in there, I know exactly how you feel about being lost in terms of school-life balance. This weekend I hung out with the BF and fell asleep during a movie. He asked me "What's the matter, you are always tired!" It is true, I can't catch up on sleep or any of the other things I'm supposed to be doing...

4:27 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Glad you found your drop spindle. Maybe it will help you during some of the stressful times. And your quilt! It's beautiful and definitely a much needed splash of color now that nearly all of the leaves are down.

6:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely quilt!

7:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Mom is a wise lady ;-) That quilt will make you smile with all of it's lovely colors on those dreary winter days.

7:27 AM  
Blogger Holly said...

Green Shoes!!!! Love them!
Fabulous quilt.

8:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the way your quilt came out, and you've inspired me to actually put something on my boring white walls, already.

9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the wall hanging - very cute and very seasonal. Take the time you need for yourself. We'll be hangin' around when you need us.

9:52 AM  
Blogger LauraJ said...

So now you have SO much time and a spindle.....

Lovely hanging. Good color therapy. Amazing zip-zap-get-it-done creativity.

11:30 AM  
Blogger CrazyFiberLady said...

I love the quilt! What beautiful work. Your mom was right, stand back and see it with fresh eyes. I always have a sewing machine easily accessible, so anytime you want to visit ;)

1:38 PM  
Blogger Nikki said...

I think that quilt is lovely!!! My "things to do before I die" list includes "make a quilt"...we'll see if I ever get to it. :o)

I kind of fell off the face of the blog earth for a while there, because my hard drive self-destructed and I lost all my bookmarks. I was cleaning out old email today, though, and found the email you sent me way back when asking all about my med school...and to which I rudely forgot to reply!! So sorry!!

Anyhow, I have some catching up to do, but I'm thrilled to have found your blog again. :)

I have my own now, so my name in your sidebar can have it's own link if you'd like. :)

nikkistiches.blogspot.com

10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home