Thursday, October 20, 2005

home again, home again and back in the grind.

- one tank of gas: $35
- one copy of an un-autographed book: $14
- hours of sleep Tuesday night before getting up at 3:58am so that I could hit the road by 4am: 3 1/2
- the trip to Willows and back to meet other knitters? priceless.

the blur that seemed to happen so fast that I could have sworn I'd never left the state has really screwed my internal clock up and today I happily wished several patients a nice weekend before one of the nurses broke it to me that today was only Thursday. It seems driving a lot and staying up late/getting up early can lead to the feeling that time is moving faster then it truely is. Darn. Would I head to that area for another whirlwind meet-up and author reading (even if it included Mr. Crankypants the store owner)? yup, without thinking about it twice. There's a lot going on in the periphery of my life and a lesson I've learned is that life is indeed to short to sit back and watch it go by; therefore I don't regret missing Tuesday afternoon, or the Wednesday afternoon that draaaged on because I was exhausted, or the nap I took last night that turned into a very early bedtime. It was well worth the trip!

I'd intially thought I'd only see a few people I knew, but soon it was obvious that a clump of knitting bloggers can produce faces to go with names and blog titles I've been reading for awhile. (who knew!) It certainly wasn't Rhinebeck but a gaggle of knitters and connecting conversations (the small world things I found in common with every person I talked to) were a welcome change to my medically themed ramblings and I managed to get in a trip to Trader Joes. (the dried mangos alone make up for my lack of sleep!)

The list of people who were present and accounted for can be seen at CaroleKnits' page, or Bookish Wendy's page; I'd link things but as Cassie pointed out, it's time consuming (and I have to reserach a few more articles before I call it a night....)

I brought the striped sweater and decided that at some point I will take out the sleeves and re-do them, but the time for that isn't now. I'm going to master a sweater, for me, in a single color of a wonderful yarn before I return to the striped sleeves of doom. It took someone asking if I could donate it to Dulaan for me to realize that I do like it and will wear it, but that I really need to fix the sleeves so that I can wear it. I do still knit for Dulaan, but this sweater is going to stay with me.

My spindle went MIA before I hit the road on Tuesday but I thought that perhaps someone there could re-explain to me how to "start" a spindle. My attempts resulted in split/broken leaders or clumps that can only be described as yarn tornados. I turned around in my seat and asked Laurie and Claudia how to "start;" Claudia whipped open her bag while saying "you're in luck! I never unpacked my new spindle from Rhinebeck...." She then went on to simplify what I needed to do, thus giving me no excuse for not returning and hitting the spindle. (or, rather, I'll have no excuse once I find it....)

Also discussed were the inability of magenta pink to dye things red, the benefits and merits of all women collages, which American beer the Canadians in the group should drink, what type of practice I'll someday enter and why I'll do it, how things in some states have changed (or not) over time, and the benefits of trekking sock yarn. It was delightful.

The evening ended with a profound fiber "show and tell" in Laurie's family room; it was my very own chance to touch and feel and ooh and ahh over her finds from various trips (including IL and NY) and was a great way to end a great night. My only regret is that I couldn't stay for breakfast and more fiber-crack/medical talk the next morning!

The rotation I'm on now is a three week elective and it's as much work as I thought it'd be. I've been seeing some patients on my own before exitting the exam room to present the pt's case to a preceptor (an established doctor) and then going back into the room with her to treat the patient. I'm leary to get into what exactly I'm doing right now because I have a bit more reading/researching to do and I could (potentially) ramble forever, but the treatments are mostly hands-on things, and maybe later I'll get into what exactly it is that I am doing. I'm having a grand time and feel like I'm finally back into the groove I left to study and re-do the boards. I'm glad to be back but somehow forgot how long the days can be.......

(the second blueberry mash sock is at the turning of the heel and could be finished by the weekend; I'll post pictures of the pair when they're done!)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fabulous time at the signing. How cool! Work sounds pretty cool--I am glad you are enjoying it!

7:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was great to meet you in person! And the connections we all made and small-world coincidences made it a really special night for me.
Working for a living, even when you love your job, is a pain in the ass. I'd rather be knitting!

9:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm happy to find someone who doesn't think I, uh, overdid it. And who truly understands the tactile lure of this fiber. Wishing the patients a good weekend too early was WAY funny.

4:06 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

It was wonderful to meet you ... I told Hamster that someone had been asking after her, and she was very flattered. :)

10:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was so great to meet you -- I'm already looking forward to the next time :) And it sounds like the fiber show at Laurie's was excellent!

Best with your new rotation. If only work was as fun as knitting!

8:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home