Monday, October 10, 2005

here goes nothing....

The boards are tomorrow and Wednesday; two days, each day has two 4 hour blocks of about 200 questions a piece. Tomorrow at 7:30ish am I'll check in and by 8am I expect that I'll be filling in bubbles with my handy #2 pencil. (note to self: this is not connect the dots.) The school is an hour and a half from here and so I went ahead and booked a hotel room for tonight and tomorrow night. I know I won't sleep very well either night but it'll save me from having to travel before sunrise tomorrow.

I'm leaving the still unfinished striped sweater here because chances are pretty good that I'm going to be too distracted to mattress stitch. I'm disappointed it's not done (it wasn't done the first go round either) but I have lots of sock yarn that will keep my hands busy.

These are two poems that I wrote in June, just before the last time I did this. I think they're fitting for now too. (I went on a four line craze after Cassie's (too much wool) Ode To Wool contest. I kept waiting for the inspiration to hit this time but so far, no luck!)

See you on the other side.......


less than a week til the boards
a big 2 day test
time to prioritize topics
(cleaning's not oneand this apartment's a mess)

there are piles of papers
and notecards and books
my highlighters are drying up
studying's not as easy as it looks!

the practice tests are finished
my scores all over the place
I make plenty of mental notes
and then against time I race

there's OMT, neuro, pulmonology,
cardio, anatomy, physio and bugs,
don't forget biochem and pathology,
histo and repro and life-saving drugs.

food? frozen dinners and chocolate
with cups and cups of strong tea
I buzz through the nights,
only stopping to pee.

my biggest test worry?
my own greatest fear?
that the knowledge I've got
will fall out my ears.

_________________________


all across the United States
t’was the night before day one.
I’m off to bed (with books under my pillow)
my alarm set to be up with the sun.

an old med school roommate of mine
used to eat fish the eve of a test
I’ll eat tuna for breakfast
if it’ll get me more points then the rest.

my #2 pencils are sharp,
I’ve got 3 forms of ID
at the door they might take my thumbprint,
just to make sure that I’m me!

no breaks once the exam begins
so for hours in one spot I’ll sit.
(I’d feel better about the whole thing
if only they’d let me knit!)

some have lucky underwear
or socks they haven’t washed
me? my striped sweater is unfinished,
but in each pocket there’ll be something I swatched.

I knit them while I was cramming,
these last few days and weeks
in hopes what I studied will eeep back out
(this system beats socks that reek!)

thanks for all the previous comments
the good thoughts and wishes you’ve sent
if I could send you each a sheep I would
to me it’s that much (or more!) that they’ve meant.

17 Comments:

Blogger Carina said...

You're going to nail it! We'll be rooting for you and everyone else tomorrow. The Boards suck, but it's a hoop you have to jump through.

Make sure to eat a good breakfast!

4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooooh....close your eyes and go with your gut - life is good and we'll be waiting on the other side - with yarn and fluff and NO MORE STUDYING.

I got the sock yarn - thanks !!!!

Sara
saraterry@gmail.com
www.glbt-knit.com/saras

6:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen to NO MORE STUDYING!
Lots and lots of good luck to you!

7:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

XXX fingers. This time is IT.

7:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck! :) Melissa

9:31 PM  
Blogger claudia said...

I'm waving the lucky pointy needles for your good test karma.

9:50 PM  
Blogger Maria said...

Great good luck to you! I'm looking forward to hearing from you when you're all done and passed in two days!

9:52 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Good luck to you!

10:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck! Go girl....

2:55 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Second time's a charm. Really. Best of luck to you. :)

6:30 AM  
Blogger J. said...

you go girl, hope it's a breeze. Sad you won't make it to Rhineback this year... gived me a good excuse to find a reason to come back to the states though and I am so jealous of that sweater, I will continue to pine after your stripes and I like the newly felted version of Hakiu as well.

7:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck Good luck!! I'm sending you wicked smmaaat vibes RIGHT NOW.

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck!

1:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck, good luck, good luck! Unless, of course, you're already done by the time you read this. In that case, relax, relax, relax!

11:09 PM  
Blogger Lorette said...

I've knit a few lucky stitches for you.

And stuff really doesn't fall out of your ears. You'll remember it all, even decades from now.

1:35 AM  
Blogger Clara said...

Wishing you good luck!

8:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess it's probably over by now, but I'm sure you did wonderfully! I remember how stressful it was when my mom was taking her boards...

12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home