Friday, September 30, 2005

study break picture catch-up

Katie, a good friend of mine from college, sent her post (see below) in two parts. I'll finish editing the second part and get it up later this afternoon.

The "leave me a medical fact and maybe I'll send you some yarn" thing is still going on. Feel free to go back a post or two for the details; the winners will be picked after midnight tonight.



this is what one skien of Trekking XXL can knit up to be; three finished socks and a small bit leftover. I forgot how much knitting I can get done when I'm studying.



seeing as how two people have four feet, and three socks won't cut it as a wedding gift, I spent one study break yesterday at the yarn store picking up another ball. The blue ball is knit picks sock yarn, and it's for toes of one pair. (I thought it'd be kind to make them indentifiable somehow...)


yarn from the Common Ground Fair; this is Hope Spinnery yarn "ends." They're going to (someday) grow up to be a fair-isled hat.



speaking of the Common Ground Fair... This sign was posted wherever livestock was.



There were three rabbits that I'd have brought home for me if I were in a different school/work/living situation. Rabbit #1 here was cute as a button, and not afraid to show it.



Prospect #2 actually put her paws in the water dish to get a closer look at me, and topped the list of possibilities...



#3 had the "one ear up, one ear down" look perfected. I love that look. When I'm in a different spot in my life I'll have a rabbit or two (and a cat or two) and now I know that the fair is a reliable place to get the rabbit.



Scenes from the sheepdog ring; the dogs (out of the picture here) put the goats in the pen, and then put the ducks in the pen. The ducks had other plans though, and after they were "penned" slipped out through the fence. Hilarious doesn't even begin to describe it.


and so the dogs tried (again) to pen the ducks.



as a challenge they brought kids into the ring to see how well they could "herd" the animals. The dogs, er, did a bit better, but it was as much (or more?) fun to watch the kids try.



the prize winning, organically grown vegetables took my breath away. I've got a learn before I'll be able to enter any of my wares at this fair.



tomatoes I'd never heard of before looked like scientific specimens on their paper plates.



Zucchinis the length of my arm.



and more types of galic then I'd ever seen in one place before.



a hand knit branching out scarf made with handspun yarn won a blue ribbon!



my favorite sheep of the trip (I have many more sheep pictures but am running out of "studybreak" time)



time to head back to my daytime study spot. I'm coloring yarn this weekend and will be sure to capture the mistakes, er, products on "film."

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bless you for posting the Trekking XXL output. I was eyeing the skein I bought in NYC and wondering, "have I been hopelessly thoughtless (again) and figured one skein was enough for two socks, and I'm about to be screwed?"
I can get socks out of it without difficulty!

6:26 PM  
Blogger LauraJ said...

Lovely socks and pictures. I am glad you had fun at the Common Ground Fair. I want to go again sometime....

7:26 PM  
Blogger Carina said...

According to my hubby, it's a medical fact that Step I sucks. Of course, the others didn't seem all that great, either. Are you taking Step I or II?

Um, an unhelpful hint is that all histo slides look like pink and purple dots in various configurations. At least, that's what they looked like to me when David was studying for his boards and asked me to help.

7:43 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Excellent pictures. I love the dogs herding the ducks. Why did I not know they were doing that? And can you believe I never found the Hope Spinnery booth? I must have been too busy lazing around in the grass listening to music. :) The socks look great.

7:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home