Sunday, September 18, 2005

happiness is....

- cat sitting for felines who know my patterns
- homemade apple pie baked with apples that taste like autumn
- my parents 28th year anniversary
- the beautiful back-tack package that I keep forgetting to mention
- a crazy upcoming week with an afternoon off for appointments, one for group building exercises and a post-call afternoon off.

(disclaimer: this is a jumble of randomness thrown together for my own sake of being able to keep track of things. I think I’ve lost a lot of readers because my medical education missives are sprinkled with some knitting progress instead of being the other way around. I’m sure this won’t last forever, but for now it’s one way for me to keep track of how the next year or so pass by.)

The sock I posted a picture of earlier is almost done - the only thing left to do is finish off the toe. I don’t mind sewing them up with the Kitchener stitch but it means I need to find my chibi and a good light to work with, and I’m not sure that’s going to happen tonight. I had planned on making 4 socks (or two pair) as a wedding gift. The couple that I’m cat sitting for will return later this week and I’m not sure I’ll have all four done by the time they return home. (it won’t stop me from knitting every moment I can this week though!)

I have dreams of starting a cable sweater with some of the cascade 220 from my stash but looking at cable designs has me a bit overwhelmed. I love the idea of a cable border on the bottom edge of a cardigan (much like some of the new sweater designs – one of them in the latest knitty) and may just start knitting that to keep myself busy. I’m not one to follow a pattern and I like making it up as I go – I don’t think I have anything to lose so long as I don’t cut anything!

I’ve only participated in two “swaps” and each time I’ve been royally spoiled. The first go round with SPiv and I had a wonderful pal who really figured out what I liked and knew how to surprise me. Her packages were always a bright moment in the long weeks and I was glad to figure out who she was so that I could follow along with her blog. The next swap I took part in was Back-Tack - a swap for a notions holder that was made from fabric another person picked out. (sounds confusing but it actually was fun to see how it worked out…) The pal I had was patient and checked in from time to time to let me know that the package was on its way. (towards the end of the swap I was traveling and my mail was held, and then forwarded because I moved and overall it got very confusing.) I’m pleased to say that my back-tack package did arrive in one beautiful piece and through a simple twist of irony my pal was the same person that had spoiled me in SPiv! Thank you (a very belated thank you) to Scarf’o’matic!

Rhinebeck: jury’s out on if I’ll make it there or not. In theory it’d be a welcome break from studying, a nice “end of craziness” get-away, but the truth is that I’m not sure when I’d get there, where I’d stay and if the price of gas will fit my pseudo-student budget. I’m not sure when I’ll know for sure, and chances are good that at the last minute I’ll throw a few things in the car and hit the road; but for now I just don’t know. Add to my decision making the notion that the Yarn Harlot will be back at Willows Bookstore the Tuesday after that weekend and my mind-making-up is even more confused. It’s a shorter drive, but I’d have to wiggle out late afternoon clinic hours (which shouldn’t be a problem). I can’t even see to the end of this next week but I’m trying to keep upcoming yarn/fiber goings-on on the middle burner!

My overall schedule is about to take a turn – this is the last week of my the first of two 6 week stints on the Internal Medicine service and next week begins a two week “break” so that I can spend many more hours each day studying for my boards. The week that includes Oct 11th and 12th is the week of the boards and Rhinebeck is the weekend after. (congrats if you’ve made it this far – at this point I’ve confused myself.)

What I learned this week:

I saw two drug overdoses this week and yet I still don’t feel as though I know how to address an overdose situation. Drugs, both Rx and illicit are tricky; some of it legal in most situations, most of it therapeutic in some situations and all of it deadly in the wrong situation.

It is possible to birth a baby vaginally and not tear. I’m still not sure *exactly* how it happens, but I know that it’s possible. (my goal is to have it figured out by the time I’m ready for kids… that delivery was a wonderful learning experience.)

A good black pen is hard to find, easy to misplace and impossible to keep track of during an emergency. Retractable is better then not, and a cap or other “clip” is essential for hanging off of nametags and just inside the edge of my pocket. I bought several of them today and am accepting guesses for when the last one will disappear into the abyss of the clinic never to be seen again…

(my wonderings about the language of medicine is a work in progress now; depending on how this week goes it might be up by the weekend….)

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

First-really hope you make it to Rhinebeck while I'm there (if I in fact make it, I'm planning on it).

Second-I know (from planning and experience) how to deliver a baby without tearing. It is worth the effort, if you wanna know more, let me know!

10:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would love to see you at Rhinebeck, and will meet up at Willow for old times' sake regardless. But you already knew that.

10:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I'm doing *both* Willow books and Rhinebeck. C'mon, you know you wanna.

Plus, I have attended many a birth over an intact bottom, email if you are want to talk about how. It's more than possible, it's likely.

6:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should worry about readers! The Yarn Harlot leaving you a comment and'all!

I am so pleased package arrived and you liked it. Throroughly enjoyed spoiling you - and I love the mix of medical and yarn...

6:42 AM  
Blogger Katy said...

I'm going to Rhinebeck on Saturday (from the Spfd MA area)...would be happy to carpool with you from here (it's 2 hours)AND I have an empty guest room you would be welcome to! (And I promise I'm not a stalker.) Last minute decisions are okay. ;)
emmabean99 (at) verizon.net

7:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read every word of your crazy life. It's amazing that you can do it all...well, not really because you DO do it.
Hope you can make it to Rhinebeck and see all the pals. It would be a nice break from the mania of medicine.

11:07 AM  
Blogger Carina said...

Not tearing is a matter of a talented midwife and a relaxed and focused mom. I only had one stitch with my son at nine and half pounds and two whole pounds heavier than my daughter--it was due to a very talented midwife.

Btw, pens are a constant in the medical universe. They may get lost, but then more mysteriously show up. Drug rep pens are lousy, but they're harder to get rid of than fleas (unless you have my kids hanging around who like to take them apart).

1:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do what you need to do, chica. We who enjoy your blog will keep reading regardless. I especially love the medical student commentary. After all, we are all so much more than our knitting for all that it brings us together.
all the best,
caroline

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home