Thursday, August 09, 2007

happiness is....

- the cool breeze coming in through the open windows last night
- the Tim Hortons about to open down the street
- my car, still chugging away even though I'm driving 40-60miles daily
- the cats running around the house during the witching hour
- being a doctor.



Things have shifted from being not-so-great-most-of-the-time to mostly-good-nearly-all-of-the-time. I think it's partly due to the independence I have as an intern (as opposed to a student) and probably has a lot to do with loving where I am, who I am working with, and knowing that I have a house and two cats to come home to at the end of the day.



This isn't to say that things are perfect - as they aren't and will probably never be. No, it is to say that there are far more good things than bad, and that feeling settled means I am better able to deal with the chaos around me. I daresay that I might actually be happy.



Medical school was a necessary evil to get to where I am now, and the jury is still out as to if it was worth it (even though things are so much better now). Knitting, and eventually spinning, helped me to stay sane(ish), but there were days when even the yarn and fiber couldn't keep me going. I am so glad to be on this side.



I promised pictures of graduation, but all of the photos seem to highlight my chin(s). I didn't get the shawl done, but have recently picked it up again and am sailing through the pattern. It's funny how a deadline used to make me focus and buckle down - now it seems to do just the opposite.



I'm also nearly done with my sock-pal's socks, and should have them in the mail by Monday. Other little projects are getting done slowly, and I'm afraid my spinning has taken a backseat. I wish I had more time, but I'm not surprised that I don't.



I haven't started blogging anywhere else, though I have a few websites "on hold." If you emailed me I'll let you know when it's up and running. (don't be surprised if it's not for awhile now, as my time will be more limited during my next few rotations...(busy = no time to get back to eveyone who has emailed me))



All in all, life is good.



(It is such a nice change.)



Thank you, from the bottom of my sock yarn stash, for helping see me to this point.

19 Comments:

Blogger Theresa said...

Congratulations! It is way better to be a doctor. I had a busy night on call in the ICU, but at the end of the night, you know that you were up all night doing something worthwhile.

I hope I'm on the list for the new site :)

9:10 PM  
Blogger Lorette said...

Glad to hear that things are looking up. Med school is sort of this blur in my head, most of which I don't remember. Keep me on The List for when you move to a new blog space!

2:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So good to hear that you're doing well! And there's a Tim Horton's as far south as Portland now! i went there the other day when I was visiting my parents.

7:35 AM  
Blogger J. said...

Blogger ate my comment, i think it is because I just spoke badly of it on my blog. Anyway yummm Tim's, glad all is well, cats are good therapy and let me know if you get a new blog

7:52 AM  
Blogger margene said...

You have been in my thoughts often the last few weeks (and I did email you last week). It's good to hear you are feeling more settled, it's a new beginning.

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad that it is goodness rather than badness, despite the time constraints.

3:32 PM  
Blogger Marcy said...

K, it's great to hear from you. And I'm so glad things are going well for you. What a wonderful change that must be!

6:14 PM  
Blogger maryse said...

yay! you're back, even for only one post.

glad to hear you're in a much better place, doctor.

8:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! It's awfully exciting and even though I'm a long-time lurker and not a 'commenter' (slightly shy) - I'm honestly so happy for you.

8:25 AM  
Blogger Danielle said...

So glad to hear that all is well. You've earned it :) Let me know when/if you've got a new site up...

9:44 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

It's so good to hear the doctoring is going better than all that led up to it. "Life is good" is such a nice thing to hear. :)

Of course I want to know if you start a new site....

8:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it is much better than school, I agree. Keep me in the loop when you make the switch.k

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Dr.

3:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, so happy to hear that all is well with you! Congratulations on weathering the enormous changes you've made in your life in the last 6 months.

3:59 PM  
Blogger knitseashore said...

So glad that now you can slow down and enjoy your life with the studying finished. Hope the kitties are well! And please keep me on your list for your new site.

3:11 PM  
Blogger me said...

congrats, kristen. i'm glad it is all mostly good now. definetly let me know where you end up blogging (email rhi) and i will try not to nag you about your knitting ;)

9:49 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

oh yay! You were just on my mind over the last few days - it's great to catch your update. And I am SO thrilled for you!

3:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG! How did I not know about this blog, I'm so glad I found you. I'm second year and knit in secret (have a secret blog for 3 people back at home)
Love your blog! Yipee!

2:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so absolutely delighted to hear about the shift. I've always thought that med school was meaner than it had to be. You must be really proud to be out the other side a sane person.

10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home