Friday, March 16, 2007

when all else fails....

spin. or knit.

(or attempt both at the same time and fail miserably forcing me to choose one over the other.)

This has been a very long week - it started with the silly time change* and a great weekend by the ocean, and today ended with a new baby entering the world. The time in between those events - it's all a blur.

[* the time change means that I now have to get up in the dark, as opposed to starting my day with natural light. This makes me grumpier than grumpy. ]

This week I started a family practice rotation and am seeing both outpatients and inpatients; I've spent time in this office before and it's wonderful to see some of the same patients again. (Patient continuity is one of the key reasons I like primary care.) This afternoon's delivery was the first one I've done in a long time, and the doctor standing nearby let me do it all - as in, my hands were the ones that brought the little one into the world.

Words can't describe what it's like to guide a little, moldable head through the birth canal, and helping tissues stretch and controlling the last few pushes before the head is born is a balance - the mom is pushing with all her might to get! the! baby! out! and I apply pressure to the area so that the pushes are controlled and supported. At the time it looks almost cruel to hold back the advancement of the head but (I think) it's worth it to eliminate the need for tearing or cutting.

I forgot how much I love obstetrics.

Yesterday was the Ides of March - a significant day for me, as it marked five years since my life was (literally) turned upside down. I was run off the road on the Mass Turnpike and am still figuring out what lessons the accident taught me. My physical body feels the best it has in the past five years and with any luck I'll be able to get back into a yoga routine so I can re-learn what it's like to push myself to my limits and then return to center. The accident is one of the most significant events of my life, but it's also not the only event that has led me down a different path. I think about it often, but have learned that dwelling doesn't help.

Needless to say, I am passionate about seatbelts being worn, buckled and fitting properly.

I'm also in the process of buying a house - not just any house, but one that means a great deal to me. The bank paperwork is almost done and once everything is lined up, it will move quickly. This is the right thing for me right now and once things are (further) underway, I can open my heart to whichever cats walk in.

While at Cate's last week I spent some quality time with her Lendrum wheel. After a rocky start, I found a groove and had a hard time pulling myself away from it. This led to an online search, which led to finding a used (majorly discounted) Lendrum at Woodland Wool Works, which led to a large box being delivered this week. Last night I set it up and experimented - it doesn't feel quite the same as it did at Cate's, but it feels wonderful to be spinning again. (Robin being in Boston and Lyle the Louet being in Rhode Island added to the reasoning for getting this wheel.)

If you (or anyone you know) are interesting in spinning and want to borrow a wheel (to see if you'd like it) let me know and I'll figure out how to get Lyle Louet to you.

(yes, I'm serious.)

My mind is all over the place right now - it's full of things I should have done, things I need to do and things that I'd previously forgotten about. The snow is starting to fall and I have the place to myself tonight....after a crazy day of seeing patients, driving to the hospital and back to the office (a few times), being at the delivery and trying to get everything else to line up, I think a little quality knitting and spinning time is just what the doctor ordered.

11 Comments:

Blogger margene said...

I love my Emmylou...a Lendrum (but I have never spun on any other wheel-OH that makes me a completely monogamous spinner! LOL) Congrats on the house. May a boat load of happy cats come your way;-)

7:59 PM  
Blogger LadyLungDoc said...

I think I was one of the few people who wasn't thrown off by the time change, because I was working in the Eastern Time Zone, and wasn't fully acclimatized from the Pacific Time Zone anyways.

Obstetrics always scared the bejesus out of me. Critical Care? No problem. Deliver a baby? Eeek! Good that things are working out for you - congrats on the house.

9:48 PM  
Blogger Katie Collette said...

Wow, congratulations on the house! Glad things are falling in place for you.

(I hate this modified daylight savings business too. Everyone keeps telling: "But it stays light out so late in the evening!" and I grumble "But I have to get up in the dark...")

10:30 PM  
Blogger janna said...

Congratulations on your house -- and your future cats! And I'm totally with you on the 'getting up in the dark' thing -- I hate it!!!

10:34 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

Congratulations on your new house! We just bought a new house too (hence, infrequent posting and commenting!) Are you serious about loaning someone a wheel to learn on?? I've been thinking about learning to spin for a couple of years now, and I would love to borrow Lyle the Louet. We are moving into our new house next week, so I could arrange to get it from you sometime after that ... Let me know!

6:21 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

What fabulous news, Kristen!

Congratulations!!

10:55 AM  
Blogger Susanne said...

Wow, Congratulations on....EVERYTHING. Tell us more about the house and why it means so much to you...(if that is ok to ask)...I have read your blog since the beginning and it is so wondrous to see you becoming the physician you have become! You should be proud of yourself, because in an odd way I AM!!

1:23 PM  
Blogger Manise said...

I much prefer waking up to natural light- the time change has not helped my mood.

Congratulations on the house- all of your ducks seem to be lining up beautifully. Must be a great feeling!

I'm the one you relinquished Amy's "Killer Tomato" sock yarn to at SPA- thanks again:-)

1:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh wow Kristen. Those pictures, well, suffice it to say that I'm glad you're here. :)

I hope that the spinning and knitting are theraputic and wonderful and everything you hoped, and just so you know, your package arrived safe and sound today.

A million thanks. :)

3:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the house! That's very exciting news.

I'm also passionate about seat belt use. A few years ago I rolled my truck going 60mph and walked away from it solely due to my seatbelt. I won't drive one inch without it.

3:01 AM  
Blogger Juno said...

I'm a million years behind - but you bought a new wheel because your other two were not available to you?

I love it.
Smooch.

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home