Monday, June 04, 2007

almost the end.

The weekend was as great as I'd hoped it be - I knit during the ceremony (starting and then turning a picot edge on a simple sock), walked across the stage without incident (rolled up diploma in hand) and was gracefully hooded (by someone I'd asked to do the honor). The pictures that were taken are still making their way off of everyone's camera - my hope is that there are a few good ones to pass around and share. (I'll post some pictures and a general "review" of my four years of med school later this week....)

As for what to do with this blog - I've been thinking about it for the past few months. This online space has allowed me to meet and become good friends with people across the Northeast and the number of people I consider honorary aunts has tripled. I've stayed in your homes, taken care of your kids and cats and shared more of myself with you than my med school classmates could comprehend. Knitting and spinning kept me going, and the knitterly events (be it a book signing, fiber festival or simply a knit-in) stood out on my calendars as events Not To Be Missed.

That being said, this space has also been a jumping point for some crazy emails, bizarre comments and uncomfortable confrontations. I believe in ignoring those who cause trouble and not feeding the trolls, and now is a good time for me to walk away. I've edited some of my past entries but things are still google-able, and my position as a soon-to-be resident is one that I want to guard much more carefully.

I won't give up blogging but I am going to take a break. Once I establish myself somewhere else I'll spread the word around - if you'd like to know when a new site goes up, send me an email and I'll let you know. I'm not trying to be secretive, just more cautious.

(pictures, med school recap, etc, to follow later this week...)

23 Comments:

Blogger GamecockDoc said...

Congratulations! Isn't being hooded fun?

5:39 AM  
Blogger LadyLungDoc said...

I hope that you'll rejoin the Knitting Physicians webring!

I do find that there are so many things that happen at work that I would like to blog about, but don't because of confidentiality.

5:42 AM  
Blogger J. said...

CONGRATS, YIPPEE, WAY TO GO!!! It's funny how we develop relationships over the internet and how I watch and wait for a post so that I can see what might happen next in someones world. Yes it tragic that the trolls out there feel the need to express themselves in critical ways. That being said I also understand your need to move on from this place. I hope you do come back to blogland, because I'd miss you if you were gone

7:55 AM  
Blogger Juno said...

I think that's a good idea - take a break, reassess what this is for as you head into internship. The medicine and your safety and integrity is way more important than the blog.

That being said, if you don't stay in touch I WILL hunt you down.

Don't you feel all fuzzy and warm now?

Congratulations, Doctor.

7:55 AM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

I can understand what you mean, a lot of the time I wish I'd chosen a more anonymous route with my blog. And this seems like a good time to make that change, since your no longer a "student"! Yay!

See you soon!

8:11 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Congratulations, Doctor! I loved being hooded, too. Keep in touch with email - remember, I'm always around to commiserate.

1:47 PM  
Blogger Lola said...

Congratulations! I'd like to keep posted on your next blog location. I can't find your email address anywhere on your blog or in your profile, so here's mine - lolajl at gmail dot com.

6:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats!

I'm a long-time lurker (I think I commented once a couple years ago, when you happened to be taking a test near me) and I would love to know about the new site.

-Meira
comments AT voirdire DOT org

7:58 PM  
Blogger Lucia said...

Congratulations, Doctor! Add me to the list. I'll be at Fiber Frolic on Saturday -- will you?

9:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

I'd also miss you if you left blogland and I can't find your email addy. Please email me (runswithneedles at gmail dot com) when you're back in the blogisphere.

1:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I know you are glad to have made it. i remember my graduation day like it was yesterday.

3:26 PM  
Blogger Obsessiondujour said...

HOORAY! Congratulations, m'dear! I'm so proud of you for sticking this out through what we know were some shaky moments when you weren't sure you were going in the right direction for your own sanity. And now you're all doctorfied and stuff, and it's all grand! So. Exciting.

As for the rest of that? Dude. what Juno said. ;)

10:43 AM  
Blogger melanie said...

definitely keep me posted as to where your new blog is! enjoy the break, and ROCK ON WITH YOUR DOCTOR SELF!!

8:04 AM  
Blogger Lorette said...

Congratulations, Doc! It's a huge accomplishment, and you'll never forget that day.
I couldn't find your email either, and would love to know where you end up online! loretteireneATcomcastDOTnet

1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a loooong time lurker, and would love to be notified after your (very well deserved, rejuvenating, cat-filled, nesting, getting used to being a doc) break, which I hope will include lots of spinning and good friends and fun.

Congratulations. This is a major accomplishment, and should I ever relocate to anywhere near your area, I'd want you as a doc.

camih4AThotmailDOTcom

1:39 PM  
Blogger Susanne said...

Congratulations Doctor! I sure hope you stay in touch and I can "find you" when you surace again. Congrats once again.

3:47 PM  
Blogger Susanne said...

oops email me at scheusieATshawDotca

3:48 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Way to go, Doc!! I'd appreciate being on The List when you have time to make it ...... I'd miss you.

9:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I'm fairly new here, fell in love with your posts about the adopted kitties and am enjoying getting to know you. I'd love to continue reading if you don't mind adding me to your list. Email is adamsdebra at sbcglobal dot com. It's sad that one or two bad apples have to spoil the whole basket, isn't it? But don't let them discourage you -- you have accomplished so much!

11:37 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

Been lurking for a while, have enjoyed reading your blog. I think this is the first time I've commented. I'd love to read your new blog.

10:39 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

Way to Go!!! Good luck as you head out into the world and don't look back! I've enjoyed reading your blog. Take care.

2:05 AM  
Blogger knitmd said...

You have started your internship now, and certainly may have turned around and wondered where your intern is with all the answers, only to remember you are IT now.....

Keep in touch!

7:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, and I would like to know of your new blog when you have it.

8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home