Thursday, May 31, 2007

show and tell (though it's more show than tell)

(note: internet problems mean this is a short post - one that has been attempted several times over the past two days.)

The fiber from the previous post (jar dyeing) - this isn't the best picture but it does show the range of colors that came out of the jar. It's spinning up beautifully.





Shawl progress as of Monday morning - it's up to 8 repeats of the first chart and I anticipate it'll be a late night. I'd be further along, but somehow I managed to leave the pattern (SwallowTail, Interweave Knits '06) at the doctor's office (long story...). Thanks to the kind soul who passed me their (well loved) copy so I could keep going - I'll pick up the IK tomorrow.

I have no idea if it'll actually be finished by Saturday morning and that's okay. The yarn is MamaCate's handspun cashmere (yarn #5, for those who have seen all of the other yarns) and the pattern is #4? #5? This whole project fell apart before it came together - much like my medical school experience.


This is the fleece that jumped off the table into my arms - it's a bit of a mutant as it's an icelandic/romney cross.


I thought it was worth $15.75 just to see what it looked like all laid out - there are parts with a double coat, parts that scream "Romney!" and other parts that aren't sure what they want to be when they grow up.
(these fleece bags were one of the best finds of the weekend - it's hard to see from this picture, but both ends tie, and it's big enough to line a top-opening washing machine. I'll add the website when I find the paperwork that came with it.)

The fleece is still at MamaCate's becuase I was afraid I'd be distracted by it. (that position has been filled with the above fiber and my Robin wheel....)

Late one night I saw Cate's cat pawing at the porch door - she was after a Luna Moth. It's been years since I last saw one, so I dug out the camera and shoo'd away the cat.

"Luna Moth" would make an excellent colorway.....

My home interent is nonfunctional right now, but if I hunch in one corner of the house I can borrow a signal from the neighbors. The hotel I'm staying at tomorrow night has wireless, and if nothing else I'll update the shawl picture. The only thing on my agenda tomorrow is "practice standing in alphabetical order and walking, sitting and standing on command." It shouldn't take all day, so I'll have time to knit, knit, knit.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, that fiber looks wonderful. I need to go over how you did that again, I really want to try it. Did you start with dry fiber? or soaked? And I know you talked of how you mashed the fiber into the jar, but I'm still trying to work that out in my head. I really want to dye similarly, using one color, but diluting the dye as I add the fiber. Any tips? If it is easier I can give you a call and we can chat.....

After your big weekend! Congratulations and have a great time. Remember to breathe and stop and make a memory. Turn, breathe, look and be mindful of the moments so some of them will stay with you.

8:24 PM  
Blogger FemiKnitMafia said...

Beautiful dyeing and beautiful shawl. With your fleece and my yarn there, is Cate's becoming the home for too-tempting-fiber?

Good luck with the walking and sitting. You can do it!! :-)

10:04 PM  
Blogger maryse said...

walk and sit with gusto! have a wonderful graduation day! congratulations doctor.

are you going to change your blog name?

intern who knits?

5:49 AM  
Blogger Juno said...

oh yeah, all you have to do is stand in alphabetical order and walk on command. That's it. NO biggy.

You're not graduating from med school or anything......

Congratulations my dear, dear K. Have fun.

7:58 AM  
Blogger Danielle said...

So, the big question is -- will you bring knitting to the actual graduation? (And will the guy from class who helped you wind all your skeins into balls come sit next to you?)

Congratulations on the big day -- and all the work that it took to get there!

8:49 AM  
Blogger Katie Collette said...

Congrats! I hope it all goes perfectly.

The luna moth is very pretty but I'm not sure I would be able to stand so close to it to take a picture.

8:56 AM  
Blogger margene said...

Congratulations!! Will the blog now be "Dr. Who Knints"? Terry has a good suggestion...drink in the moment.

9:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! Enjoy your day and savor the moment.

My dad found a Luna Moth and I was surprised at how big they are! I'd never seen one so huge like that.

Please tell us what is the pink/red/white yarn confection in your second photo?

8:19 PM  
Blogger claudia said...

That Terry is very smart.

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home