Wednesday, March 28, 2007

home is where.....

.....one spent one's childhood.

(very) Long story (very) short, my parents bought a new house. I am buying the house I grew up in.

It was something that happened very quickly and as the pieces fell into place for them, things in my own life started to line up. I matched into a family practice residency near to where I grew up and throughout their real estate adventure we joked/considered/seriously talked about the possibility of me buying this house. The timing has been tricky and not everything is tied up yet, but hopefully things will be final sometime in the next 2-3 weeks.

This house is small for a family but perfect for me, and I know that everything is in amazing shape and has been well taken care of. When they moved in (many years ago) the only bathroom had red shag carpet and a tub (the only shower was in the cement floor'd basement) and the kitchen had blue indoor/outdoor carpet with painted sky blue plywood cabinets. Both of those rooms were renovated during my pre-school years (I remember both being under construction) and each room in the house has undergone at least one transformation. (I am on the hunt for bathroom and pre-renovation kitchen pictures; I'll post them when I find them.)

(when tearing up the floors of the second floor we found newspapers from the first half of the 20th century; after looking them over we put them back, along with a few current pages from both the local and national newspapers.)

This past weekend was the weekend for moving all of the furniture into their new house. The two days passed quickly (I have the bruises to show for it) but it means that there isn't a whole lot here right now. I had hoped that the timing would be such that as their things disappeared my things could simply replace what was missing, but the coordination of getting my things down from the garage loft and out of the various other storage-hidey-holes hasn't happened yet. I am keeping it all in perspective and trying to remember that this won't last forever, but relying on borrowed floor and table lamps for lights and sleeping on the futon is going to get old fast.

.....the yarn is.

My stash is still spread out across the northeast and I'm sorry to say that my knitting time has been sparse. I'm less than 10 weeks until graduation and still need to get going on the green lace shawl. (I hesitate to share such info because my friend Kim has been keeping tabs on where I'm at in the process and I keep telling her that I have plenty of time. I'm not (yet) sure when I'll feel like I'm running out of time but I do need to get started on it....)

.....the cats are.

it's been over 10 years since I've had my own cat and on Monday I had time to go to the local animal shelter and remedy that.




These two cats will come to live with me on/about April 9th, after they are spayed. They're ~8-12 months old and were brought in together by their former owner. I was looking for a pair of cats and though I thought I'd fall in love with the older, more "out there" cats, these two seemed to be just what I was looking for. Both are quiet and calm but did sit with me and purr and headbutt. Right now they are named Peyton (on the left) and Georgina (on the right) but they didn't seem to answer to or acknowledge that those are their names. Peyton might stick (?), but the little dilute tortiseshell needs something "softer" to match her muted coloring. Any ideas? (extra points for being creative and original....)

29 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I had a house that I'd grown up in so that such a think could be at all possible, but I don't. Oh well.

The cats are adorable. For some reason the name Charlotte comes to mind.

2:50 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

The kitties are adorable and look very sweet. How about Corrie for a new name? Sort for Corriedale, of course.

6:18 AM  
Blogger SaraSkates said...

whoo hoo on all fronts! It's too early in the am for me to be creative with cat names LOL. I like Corie ;)

6:30 AM  
Blogger Pumpkinmama said...

Congrats on the new home. I think she looks like a Philomena, but that's a mouthful. I also like Carole's suggestion.

9:32 AM  
Blogger margene said...

Oh Corrie is such a great idea! You could name them Corrie and Cate;-)

9:38 AM  
Blogger maryse said...

home is where my loved ones are. i grew up moving every couple of years so unfortunately, i dont' have a childhood home.

how wonderful though that you are going to be living in yours again.

congratulations on your new little family.

9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lot of great news! I'm sure the house will feel less empty soon.

10:20 AM  
Blogger Rhianna said...

Kim continues to feel anxiety over the shawl situation, more so than her own impending graduation in just a few (short) weeks. Congrats on the house, can I bunk with you in October?

11:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay you! Congrats on all the big good changes. It's wonderful.

I'm getting Mandy for the cat. I don't even like the name much, but that's what the aliens said, so there you go.

I suspect you'll be too busy to come this weekend, which is no prob--do come soon though for a private belated kid b-day celeb...

11:53 AM  
Blogger J. said...

Yeah for the house

hmm kitty names, having just gone through that recently and it causing much debate in my house I think that you should wait until you have them both home to decide... but Corrie works well, hmm other sheepy names - Romni,
Mer(ino), etc.

good luck with the furniture and the shawl

12:12 PM  
Blogger Obsessiondujour said...

Oh hoooraaaaayyyyy! I'm so glad that's all working out, and you KNOW I'm all excited for your kitty-love.

Congratulations, hon.

p.s. I won't tell Josie and Leon that you've decided to install permanent competition.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Norma said...

Oh,oh, oh! This is the week of the pun and this is too perfect.

Peyton needs a "Plaice."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_plaice

Get it? Peyton Place?

1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

evaline or evangline

3:11 PM  
Blogger melanie said...

I'm SO jealous of your new house. Known and loved already and YOURS. That's awesome.

So are you still in New England or what?? Are you within visiting distance of Connecticut??

3:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're buying the house you grew up in?! That's the coolest thing I've heard in a long time. I would love to own the house that I grew up in. How wonderful for you.

I'm not good at naming animals. Thankfully, mine usually come to me with names so I have no idea what to name your new little friend. Congrats on the kitties, too!

5:02 PM  
Blogger Jofrog said...

What fun! I'm so happy for you. Congratulations, and great also to bring furry ones into your life. Let them name themselves. They'll let you know!

7:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I looked at her, and thought "Clair" and then I thought that might be too close to Eclair (emma) but at the same time, it could work...sort of a nod in her direction. in any case, whichever you go with, it sounds, overwhelmingly, that there's a consensus about starting with a C...something to think on...

9:01 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Wow, so much going on! Congratulations, congratulations. The cats look beautiful, and I'm so happy for you and the house! It would feel really good to be able to buy the house you grew up in. I agree with another commenter, the cats will let you know what their names are. But I like Charlottes and Corrie and Clair.... =)

4:23 AM  
Blogger Lorette said...

Congratulations on the home-buying!
I have no creative name for the kitty. Jasmine popped into my head when I looked at her photo. I would agree with the other suggestions that cats seem to name themselves after they've lived with you for a bit.

12:50 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

I like Charlotte and Claire too. Or Grace. The idea of "sheepy" names is cute too.

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about Calliope and call her Callie? Or Fern?

5:09 AM  
Blogger claudia said...

Monkey.

I love that name.

;-)

9:02 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Congrats! I'm glad all the stars are aligning!

10:20 AM  
Blogger janna said...

Congratulations on the house and the kitties! And I'm partial to Charlotte, but that's because my own Best Cat Ever was named Charlotte.

8:00 PM  
Blogger Nikki said...

How about "Alpaca"? Strange, I know...but cats are nearly as soft as alpaca. :)

Congratulations on your house! So exciting!!

8:37 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

P.S. Thanks for the lovely engagement wishes. We'll have to have a nice new-sy email about dating doctors one of these days. (I'm on call today - strange how I can blog and comment but not email from work, isn't it?)

9:00 PM  
Blogger eyeleen said...

Congratulations on your new place! those cats are adorable!

8:19 PM  
Blogger LadyLungDoc said...

Ava. Or Charlotte.

Congrats on the house!

7:06 PM  
Blogger Denise said...

Congrats on the house! We move so often, I don't really have a childhood home. Enjoy!
Many, many blessings to you for rescuing kitties! Peyton is a great name - how about Purrl for the other? :-)
May all of you have many, many happy years together.

1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home