Friday, March 09, 2007

are we there yet?

to recap (almost everything):

- weeks until graduation: 12
- (weeks until the Cummington Blegger: 11)
- step I of boards (Oct '05): passed
- step II clinical exam (Nov '06 in PA): passed
- step II of boards (Jan '07): passed
- the residency match: done, contract signed and submitted
- rotations done to date: pediatrics, general surgery, psych, family practice, radiology, adult heme/oncology, ob/gyn, internal medicine (both a six week "core" and a four week sub-internship), emergency medicine, breast cancer surgery, geriatrics, genetics, rural family practice
- rotations left to do: family practice pseudo'sub-I and a required osteopathic manipulation rotation (both scheduled and okay'd by all parties involved!)


The trouble with six days off is that my already missing in action motivation has no chance of reappearing before it absolutely has to. The beauty of these past six days is that I was able to forget about nearly everything and enjoy playing with Henry and Eleanor. (and Cate and Rhys and the dog and cat and imaginary fish and Cate's wheel) The only thing I'd do differently is figure out a way to stay with them longer...

As I get closer to being done with med school (and as I gear up for starting residency) I want time to start flying - much like the elementary school kids who can't fathom how far away summer is, I can't believe that the end of May will be here anytime soon.

Not helping the overall "want to be done now" situation is that I think my housing for the next few years is figured out. I'm going to hold back posting the details for fear that it'll jinx something, but the overall jist is that, with any luck, I'll be living somewhere that I can call my own. (without scary housekeepers who hate yarn, crazy roommates, last minute parking bans or helicoptors landing all night long (I was going to link to posts from the past two years that feature each of those elements but am running out of time)) After 8+ months of feeling like a turtle or snail who brings her house with her wherever she goes, I am looking forward to having a place to call home.

12 weeks to go.

(are we there yet?)

(I'm off to a weekend for women medical students and residents - it should be a good time with discussions, hands on learning and good food.)

4 Comments:

Blogger margene said...

It's happening...things are winding down and soon you will have a 'real' life. No more student status! Fingers crossed the rest goes smoothly.

4:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Kristen on everything you have achieved so far...and more to come. Have a great weekend. I wanted to go but could not bring myself to leave Iris for a whole weekend yet. I start a Family rotation at MDFPR on Monday...very excited. Take Care!! --Andrea

5:22 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Sounds like an interesting weekend - keep us posted! It'll be here before you know it - don't wish it away!

11:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So happy for you, but the only problem is how far away your place will be. Sigh. We miss you already, hope the weekend was great.

It really will be here in no time. Plus if you jet off somewhere warm in the middle of it, well, that will be all the better...;)

10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home