Tuesday, May 23, 2006

my dear, dear drop spindle....

it’s not you, it’s me.

You are a magnificent piece of handiwork, a pleasing weight and complete with beautifully contrasting wood tones. I am a selfish knitter who hasn’t taken the time to truly work with you…the time it takes to work through my frustration into calmness and ease. Time after time I’ve used the excuse that you aren’t in the right place at the right time (and it’s true that I haven’t been dragging you to all of my cat/dog sitting gigs) but really you aren’t as portable as one of my many socks-in-progress (yet).

It’s been almost a year since you’ve come into my life and I am so sorry I haven’t gotten to know you better. I’ve held off using my “good” fiber for fear that I’d tornado it, but over and over again those who are good with spindles and wheels tell me that’s the only way I’ll learn. Your potential still amazes me and I haven’t given up. (yet.) All those times I ended our park’n’draft attempts with confused looks of “how do they do it? they make it look easy…” I am sorry about that. Really sorry. It's unfair of me to want to be so good at something that is so new, and it's not your fault.

This weekend we will head back to the wonder known as “Cummington” and I want you to know that even though I may sit near a spinning wheel, I WILL NOT BUY ONE. I will remain faithful to you, little guy – it’s the least I can do for a spindle that sticks around somewhat unused for a whole year.

Maybe, to make it up to you, I’ll get some new, amazingly fantastic fiber.

Maybe.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup, good fiber helps with making good yarn, same as good yarn helps with making good knitted things.

(I would also reassure you that, even if you do buy a wheel at some point, you won't necessarily stop spindling. They're good for different things.)

11:03 PM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

I guess I'll see you this weekend! I'm going on Saturday.

9:04 AM  
Blogger Katy said...

Of COURSE you will need to get a little bit of fiber. You have to give the spindle a little make-up gift, you know!
Hope to get to meet you this weekend at at last.

1:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Make up with your spindle, get her (him?) some nice stuff to play with.

3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cheated on my spindle pretty quickly, and have never looked back. The wheel is SO much easier. And satisfying. See you there (semiconscious).

4:44 PM  
Blogger bethanie said...

That is exactly why I don't have a drop spindle. But, never say never...

9:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Okay, this is a *funny*, *funny* post...

;)

11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What Elisa said.

3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home