Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Yarn Gone Wild, or "Extremely Madeover: Yarn Edition"


once upon a time there were three very colorless hanks of yarn. They always felt very underdressed when spending time with their more vibrant friends.



Their friends were required to wait in the, er, waiting room/chair.



here they are - just after going "under." They risked being in the hands of a med student because, as they put it, being a dyepot mistake is better then being like all of the other undyed hanks of yarn out there.



the sock yarn was up first; it had requested lots of colors, in no real pattern.



mission accomplished!



hank #1 of the worsted weight (they both dreamed of someday being a part of a mitten) was doused with warm colors; the goal of "peaches, reds, yellows and lots of blending" appears to be achieved.



Hank #2 was covered in cooler colors, and just after this picture the plastic wrap aided in lots of color blending.



then it was off to the sauna for a long, hot steam.



after the steam they cooled, and hung to drip dry and recover for a day or two. Then it was time to show off their new look!



old friends are reunited and everyone seems pleased with the makeover. (Yes, they might seem to look similar, but the yarn weights are different. Yarn liposuction to reduce worsted to fingering weight is still being perfected...)



everyone, busy at work. The blue/purple/green sock yarn is seen here modelling a cabled sock in progress; this is pattern attempt #3 and appears to be working. It's stalled right now because the needle size, stitch count and pattern are making the heel difficult. (notice the white medical tape holding needles together - a sure sign it was worked on in the hospital.) The worsted weight yarn is realizing it's dream - a mitten in progress!



the other side of the mitten; I got wild and crazy and reversed the motif colors, just to see if I could. I can, but I'm not sure it's the best idea for the mitten. (I really should have waited for proper mitten ratios but it fits okay and will be warm...)

(not shown are a pair of socks started in trekking xxl and another sock made with hand dyed yarn. The yarn that looks black is really the navy blue cotton liner for the Kristen fair isle hat.)

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OOOH!! I LOVE your mitten, and the work with your colors on the sad bland yarn is so great! I dyed some roving this past weekend into a crazy koolaid rainbow that I love dearly. How is OB going? Don't you just LOVE it??

6:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They look great! I haven't tried dyeing yet. I love the mitten!

11:22 AM  
Blogger Nikki said...

Beautiful colours! I'm so impressed!! :)

12:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love them! What dyes do you use?

2:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the dye job! Love the mitten! Nice work. Thanks for sharing.

2:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those look great! What did you use for dye? And, how did you apply it? Need. More. Info.

2:27 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Your yarn dyeing looks great. I, too am curious about your dye...I know you must have mentioned it once, but I'm too lazy to go digging around for the info.
Love the mitten. :)

2:31 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Gorgeous! And that Fair Isle is stunning.

2:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh. My. Goodness. That fairisle is _incredible_. And your color-bravery is almost as incredible. Did you plan those, or did they just happen to work out so well?

3:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice. I'm getting up the courage for my first foray into Kool Aid dyeing.

I love the idea of the color swap on the mitten. A great way to use up equal amounts of yarn.

3:20 PM  
Blogger Pumpkinmama said...

Very nice, I love dyeing. What dyes are you using? The mitten and sock look great.

3:22 PM  
Blogger Katy said...

Cute post! And great colors! I'm with the others, what kind of dyes did you use?
I gotta get me an old crockpot. ;)

3:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

fab colours! lovely dye job and those mittens are looking very seasonal - just don't pick up a snowball and lob it across the Atlantic!

5:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love it! beautiful mitten.

9:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dyework. Gorgeous mittens. I bow at your medstudent feet. ;-)

10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

whooppee! Whatta great mitten!

3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful!!! Is the sauna thingy specifically for yarn? Because it looks like my yogurt-maker.



you make me want to learn to knit.

4:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice job! Dyeing...designing...knitting...mittening...
A Renaissance med student.

5:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a neat mitten......I love the colors! Your day of dyeing looks like it was fun!

7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home