Saturday, September 03, 2005

the same old sock… (and what I learned this week…)

Buying new sock yarn proved to be a great motivator for getting the second sock done, but I can’t seem to find time to just sit and knit! I have another sock all ready go, but I am trying to finish one thing before I start another. If I don’t stick with the one object at a time policy I will be presenting balls of yarn to people at Christmas time.

At this past Tuesday’s lunch meeting I turned the second sock’s heel without any directions (I’m not sure where they are right now…) and I’m pleased with how it turned out. Tuesday is the only day that we med students (from the same med school) see each other with any regularity, and I know that I look forward to hearing what other people are up to. This week we had an informal meeting followed by a great interactive lecture, and some said they were glad to see that I was still knitting. Our routines have been turned upside down and my internal clock is still getting used to being on call and the long days that seem to last forever – but - my knitting has remained constant and it’s been a nice handhold to have. A few of my classmates have said that they are glad to see that I’m still knitting because it’s how they saw me during our first two years together. We’re all continuing to change and learn as we figure out what life in the clinics and hospitals is like and I think we’re all going to leave this year as not only more educated students, but also as “kids” who have “grown up” a bit. I hope I can keep knitting through the process.

what I learned this week:

second sock syndrome (SSS) is not a bill-able health condition because there isn’t a billing code for it. (I know that it exists and is a treatable condition – trust me!) Even though I’m just a student I’ve already become well versed in how the terminology can shape a hospital stay and how using another term can justify how sick people are to an insurance company.

always be nice to the nurses, even if you aren’t sure you like them very much. They are the people who know what is going on with a patient hour to hour and they hold the power to make your life easy or very, very difficult.

a 36 hour “day” is long. If at hour 30 people ask me if I want a cup of coffee, I should always say yes.
even though I am not watching the news and don’t have time to catch up with the internet, the residents and doctors I am working with are aware of what is going on in the world. The conversations about how to help out with the destruction of Katrina could be heard all over the place this week. I do not have enough training to head south, but there will be a group headed down to help out. I am not sure if we will be welcoming any new residents to the practice, but I think someone is looking into it. I can’t imagine being in one program and then having to leave to finish my training somewhere else, and before now it wouldn’t have even occurred to me that it was a possibility. The Etherknitter has been watching the same sorts of conversations and planning take place – people in medicine watch out for each other.

(I am doing my best to keep up with commenters and emails, but it's slow going. I am sorry!)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have three residency rules which are applicable to medical students also:

Never refuse a break.
Never refuse a chance to sleep.
Never refuse a chance to eat.

Coffee is probably a corollary of the last one.

5:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup......I think I can self diagnose myself as having SSS. I am soooooo bad at finishing that second sock :(

8:44 AM  
Blogger Carina said...

These are from my hubby:

1. If you see a bed, lie down in it.
2. If you see food, eat it.
3. If you see a bathroom, pee in it.
4. And don't let a patient go down by yourself.

Those were his rules in residency, as he just told me. ;)

8:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha that's True, they told me the same thing sorta.

6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home