Monday, August 15, 2005

happiness is...

- dye day at Julia's
- the yarn and roving that was dyed with "leftover" colors
- my first day of my third year is over, though there are many, many more days to come
- hot earl gray tea and being able to change into a comfortable pair of jeans and a t-shirt

I had a great weekend, and late last night I realized that it was the best possible way for me to get ready for my rotations. I was distracted enough that I "forgot" about how nervous I should be but I also felt like I was using my time wisely. Leaving the cats and beautiful house in Albany was hard, but stretching my trip home over a few days (I stopped to spend the night with a friend and meandered through the mountains instead of traveling on the interstates the whole way) was a good choice. Julia's event was the icing on the cake....the silk mixed in with the merino...the last big hurrah till Rhinebeck. It was also fun to meet people without trying to link them to what blog they wrote - I found that I was much less nervous and MUCH less worried about what they might write about me. (though I silently giggled to myself when I did realize "who" they were. Melanie? It took me a looong time to realize it was "her!") Seeing Laurie was wonderful because she knew what to say to calm the nerves that surfaced, and wished me luck while knowing what it was going to be like. I also got a chance to meet people who have blogs I've only dabbled in - meeting them in person helps me to figure out their sense of humor, among other things.

I was late(r) to arrive then some, but was welcomed when I got there and still had a chance to color some wool. The color choices that had been available would have overwhelmed me, so it was a good thing my selection was somewhat limited. (I'm not joking about that either - I don't like deciding what goes with what when there are too many choices, and I don't like leaving colors out, even if I don't like them.) The reds, purples and bits of green that were left were fun to play with and there wasn't any pressure with how the final product looked because it was for me! I had my doubts about how muddy it looked before it was rinsed, but after it was "done" and it was hanging to dry the colors showed through and I was somewhat pleased with how they turned out. It took the ride home (the yarn and roving sat in the seat next to me and every now and then I reached over to pet it) and the following day's midmorning sun before I saw what everyone else saw: the colors have subtle changes and almost seem to gleam in the right light. If I had to do it again, I'd be unable to recreate the colors - and now I can't wait to spin up and knit up my creations.

(I have pictures but they are, again, stuck on my camera. We don't have internet at the student house (yet) and I'm at another cafe with wireless internet. Posts may be scarce for the next few weeks.)

It was a long day today, and it wasn't as many hours as tomorrow will be. The morning signout meeting I'll start my day with is at 7:15am, and there's no set "done" time, so it looks like my knitting will be slowing down. It's really too bad, as the state's only copy of Aran Knitting is finally in my hands! I looked up the St. Brigid pattern and I've flipped through it, but haven't yet had time to sit down with it. I hope I'll have time to look at it this week but I'm not holding my breath. With any luck I'll be dogsitting in the country near a lake this weekend (sorry Kathy; a doc asked the med students if anyone was around to take care of her golden retrievers and I jumped at the opportunity to be close to "home" but yet out with her families dogs and cats) and I'll balance knitting with reading about knitting and studying.

One of the things that is going to take some getting used to is the change in my wardrobe. I have a slew of dress pants but needed to pick up a few more pairs because the 10lbs that appeared last spring still hasn't let go yet. I think I'll be in constant motion for the next year and am not too too worried that it'll stick around, but do wish I had more things that I felt comfortable in. Over the weekend I hit a catalog outlet store and found some amazing deals on button up shirts that look good and are comfortable to move around in. My mom offered to whip up a few skirts out of material I bought (a la Risa) and I'm sure everything will come together, but for now I feel like I'm playing dress up. Throw a white coat on me and I feel like I'm simply playing a doctor on tv - it's a very odd feeling.

I'm still working on the second sock and think it'll take me longer then two days to get this one done. As much as I wanted to knit during the lunch presentation today I just couldn't bring myself to get the sock out of my bag. I'm new at this, and am not yet comfortable with knitting under the table in the presence of residents and attendings...yet. I do have plans to work a bit on it tonight and am looking forward to my time with my yarn.


Blogger Liz said...

Sounds like "dye day" was a lot of fun, and the perfect remedy for the pre-rotations jitters. It will get easier from here. And I love the visual of you knitting under the table. :)

7:32 PM  
Anonymous melanie said...

hee hee, I'm sneaky like that.

GOOD LUCK Dr. lady!!!

8:22 PM  
Blogger claudia said...

YAY! First day over with. Yeah baby.

Throwing dye around is fun, isn't it?

9:26 PM  
Blogger Lorette said...

Good luck with rotations! You'll do great! And they'll get used to you knitting in meetings eventually.

8:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is fun, meeting, dying, eating. I'm so glad you stumbled in after all. Come again anytime, okay? You just tell them you need a fiber break.
julia fc

9:05 AM  
Anonymous Danielle said...

Oh, I can't wait to see what you dyed! And I completely understand the reluctance to knit during a meeting until you get a better feel for it ... I only have a few meetings that I knit at.

10:53 AM  
Anonymous Laurie said...

You will find your wiggle room in the rotations as time goes on. And clothes? The best price/value ratio for clerkships is Land's End. Get the easy care stuff. There is no time in life for ironing.

I really liked what your dyeing was going to turn into. I'll wait (patiently) for pictures. Congrats on the first day done.

3:04 PM  
Anonymous Cordelia said...

Congratulations on getting through your first day! I'm looking forward to seeing your "dye day" results, but I'm not holding my breath. See you when you have the time!

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home