Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Historic Figures Spot "The Sock!"

I took my "sock" with me this trip, and after knitting a few inches, ripped it all out. I've started and ripped this sock so many times that if I had just kept knitting I'd have half a pair finished, but I can't decide if I like the ribbing, or if I want to try lace (lace wool socks seems like a cruel contridiction when the snow is flying) or if I should make the calf section bigger or smaller, or use another set of needles (a size smaller or larger?)? Thus, when it came time for "sock" pictures, all I had to show for my knitting/frogging was the ball of yarn. (note to me, for future travelling: when knitting Rogue it is important to remember the pattern. Lace is not good to start or work on during trips yet. Take socks (that you have a pattern for) next time.) These "socks" are going with me (I settled not-so-happily on 2x2 ribbing and I pledge not to take it out again) and with any luck I'll get to a shop to pick up yarn for another few pairs...(the yarn store trip never happened in Quebec; I'm disappointed and will make a point to get there the next time I'm that far north.)

the socks had a good time seeing the St. Lawrence River....


and Rene Levesque seemed more then happy to lend a hand for the picture. It looks like he'd have talked my ear off if I'd stayed much longer....


The socks also had a wonderful time at Quebec's Parliament Building - they fit right in with statues of famous explorers and heros! (this was the relatively "calm" side of the building. All of the statues "in action" were located around the corner.)



Yarn Ahead! (I don't remember who these people were, though I wish I knew so I could look up what they did to earn a statue. I think he must have discovered something - why else would he be pointing with such a look of shock on his face?)


Behold the power of the socks... (I could almost hear a gasp when I pulled the ball out of my bag...)




I loved these signs. The deer here in the states don't look that graceful, and they certainly aren't that happy looking. I think the southern deer need ballet lessons to be a bit more like their northern counterparts.

a gardening question for anyone who has experience with Bee Balm: my mom planted some last summer after I sang the praises of the beautiful red bloom. This summer it (like the other bee balm I've seen this summer) took off and grew several feet high. (the white line towards the top of the picture is a window that is at least 5'10" from the ground)


this is Canadian Bee Balm (at the bottom of the picture), and is the height she'd like it to be. (her hand is where she estimated her plant to be) Is there more then one variety of the flower? is it possible to get her five foot something high flowers to bloom lower next year? (I like them as is, but she's worried that they are too tall.)


there are more pictures, but getting them off my camera and to this computer (my parents desktop) from my older laptop (the new one doesn't have the software yet) is a pain. They'll be sprinkled in once I get everything switched over.

another random piece of info: one of my email servers was hit by lightening last week, and I can't get into the account until a new server has arrived and been installed (it's on it's way, but is still taking several days to get here). Thus I am still very behind on emails. I've been trying to keep up with what everyone in the online knitting community is doing, but it's going to be another week or so before I finally feel caught up. Thanks for bearing with me.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The variety can grow 2-4 feet, depending on the cultivar. Most garden centers would probably carry the generic tall variety. It'll take a small google search to find the smaller ones. You can
probably pinch it back in the spring, which will shorten it, and delay its flowering. That might be an experiment, as I haven't done that with this plant, and don't know if it will sulk instead.

5:30 AM  
Blogger Pumpkinmama said...

Heh! I forgot my pattern for Rogue when I went on vaca. too! Not sure about the bee balm, I have some in my garden and it is pretty tall as well.

7:24 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

I'm going to say that the one in Canada is in full sun, an your mom's is in a shadier spot. From the picture, it looks leggier, so I'd go with Laurie, and suggest pinching it back in the spring.

Btw, I loved: "I think he must have discovered something - why else would he be pointing with such a look of shock on his face?"

Think wintery thoughts for now, and have a great trip to Utah. Sorry about all the Kennedy problems.

7:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've just got to get my sock some historic figures.

7:42 AM  
Blogger Micky said...

Just dropping by to let you know I added your link to my blog. I have been reading you for a while, but just hadn't put you on there yet. I have been a very lazy blogger.
:)

8:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home