Sunday, June 26, 2005

happiness is.....

- a thunderstorm passing over, and bringing cooler air
- comfortable linen pants
- an almost finished second sock
- a good visit with another like-minded knitter
- my last day of class being this Tuesday

all is good in my world right now; it looks like the air will cool down enough to be comfortable for sleeping tonight, and I don’t have any reason to be up “early” tomorrow morning. I have a few things to look up and take care of for my class on Tuesday, but it’s nothing compared to the other things I need to take care of before the end of June. This has been a great weekend with my family (I realize that I may not be the norm when it comes to enjoying time with my parents and brothers; we all have such a good time when we’re all together, especially when we have time to sit around the breakfast/dinner table and chat about what’s going on in our lives, and in the world.)

We all met up (we three kids all came from three different places and converged) at the Relay. The team wasn’t as large as other teams, but added their total amount to the total and the whole event raised over $75,000. My Godmother was able to be there for a bit, and it was wonderful to see her in person. My parents spend the night at the track, and walked all through the night and into the wee hours of the morning while we kids slept in beds at home. They earned a lot of respect from a lot of people, myself included.

The second sock is mere stripes away from the toe decreases and will be finished by the time I head to bed tonight. It feels good to get a project done but it feels even better knowing that it’s for someone else. I had pledged to do more knitting for myself, but now I realize that I need to counter it with knitting for other people. For me, happiness can also be knitting for others…..

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's fast sock progress. If it makes you feel any better, I haven't started any new lace. Maybe Marla's lace panel in front counts.

Glad you had a good weekend break. You sure deserve one.

10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been in your shoes - I graduated from med school in 1982, and have completed two residencies - one in OB-gyn, and the other in anesthesiology. I am a divorced single mother of four kids.

My mother taught me to knit when I was six, but I wasn't smart enough to get into it while in my basic science years of med school. I waited until I had my first child as a fourth year med student, and it has mushroomed since.

Continue, Grasshopper, as knitting has gotten me through now four pregnancies, two residencies, a messy divorce and seven years of being stalked by my ex-husband. It will serve you well as a meditation source of tranquility!

10:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You sound peaceful and relaxed already. Enjoy your summer and I'm looking forward to meeting you.

11:15 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Huh. I could have sworn I left a comment here yesterday. grr Blogger.

It was so great to catch up with you on Sunday, heat and all. You're the best!

I really came by to use your links. :)

2:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home