Friday, June 24, 2005

I think I'm gonna stay here with socks, but you all go on ahead....


one down, one started! Posted by Hello

As true to form, I’m a few months behind the rest of the knit-blogging world. While you all are happily knitting lace scarves and shawls, I think I’m gonna hang back a bit; I’ve fallen in love (all over again) with socks. (This means that as summer peaks and we all start to think about sweaters for the fall I'll probably be just starting my first lacy shawl; I keep thinking I'll start Kiri, and I do plan to, but for this weekend I'll admit to only wanting to work on socks....)

I experienced something that can only be described as a reverse-vortex, for lack of a better term. The knitting drew me in, and I didn’t care what progress I was making, as long as I was knitting tiny stitches round and round and round. I tried to stop last night so I could get to bed at a reasonable hour, but instead minutes went by that I can no longer account for, and the sock grew till it was finished. The hum of my laptop and the “clock” screen saver drove me batty, so I did what any knitter I know would do and turned it off.

The first sock in the pair is finished (and is the best one yet, though now I realize the ribbed section could have been much longer...) and the second was started with the same ball of yarn. I have another ball all ready to go, but the first ended at the right repeat and I couldn't help but cast-on. All of the beautiful sock yarn still in skeins or balls was enough to motivate me to cast on, and I hope to get the second one done (and gifted!) this weekend.

I love knitting socks.

I’m headed north (back up to my parents neck of the woods) to walk in the local Relay for Life. My mom organized a team in honor of my Godmother (who, though she’s a non-smoker, has lung cancer), and I’m going to walk for awhile. The team is made up of people who all know the story of what my Godmother has been through, and she’s going to make an appearance early this evening. She’s undergoing chemo right now and is doing well, all things considered. The team has raised over $1,000 thus far and I’m proud of my mom for taking on the challenge of putting together a team (while at the same time being busy with work and life).

(I hope to be back to the vitrual world on Sunday, but if not then “happiness is…” will appear once I can get back to a computer)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a good weekend! The sock and a bit looks great - I really like that colorway.

8:15 AM  
Blogger LauraJ said...

All these lace people, where are they getting the calm, sitting in one place, able to recall which of 26 rows they are on TIME? Socks are good citizens. They tell you where you are. You can do them without an hour of meditation and centering. I love socks, too.

8:47 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

The socks, they have sucked me in as well. I should be finishing Anouk, but somehow the vector sucked me into a pair of socks for Mom. your influence?

10:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are great socks. Congratulations on finding a reverse vortex! And double congratulations on doing your patient-day (yesterday's entry)! Have a great time this weekend.

10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say "When the going gets tough, the tough knit socks.";-)

11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home