Wednesday, May 11, 2005

My second year is (essentially) OVER!!!

The test this morning was all of 24 questions long, and the two people who always finish first got a round of applause from the rest of us when they stood up to hand in their exams. (it appears they were racing and one finished a mere three seconds before the other - they have been the first out of every exam we've had in the past two years and always do fairly well on them...) We were warned that the danger of this exam was the whiplash students faced as they jumped up to hand the exam in and run out of the room; the whole thing took me just under 9 minutes to finish and I was glad to be done.

I'd love to say that this year is really and truely over, but that isn't exactly the case. We have two full days of advanced cardio life support training tomorrow and that "test" is on Friday. There are hours and hours of board review courses being taught by our professors, and the boards are June 7/8th. Then we have one last case-based "course" that will challenge us to think like real doctors; ie how to write orders, prescriptions, discharge notes, etc., and will review how to read x-rays and mri/ct scans. It's only 9 hours long and is spread out over a few weeks so most of us aren't counting it as a class. I also have one last "standardized patient" exam with 8 patients; we have the usual 14 minutes with each one, then 10 minutes to do the "after exercise" (writing things out, or summerizing what we saw with the patient). The difference this time is that we aren't allowed any feedback from the patients and though we're videotaped we won't be watching them. It's a four hour long exercise and shouldn't be too, too hard.

Now I've got to gather a few things together and then I'm hitting the road with a course that is due South: the Harlot speaks at 7pm, and I will be there. My nervousness to meet up with people had disapated and I'm excited - though I warn you all I look like something the cat dragged in...

hand knit socks on? check.
camera, with charged batteries? check.
striped sweater to work on? check.
map of how to get to where I'm going? check.
shopping list for Trader Joes? check.
the bookbookbook? check.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

High five for bascially finishing the year! WOW. That's big stuff. And what better way to celebrate than with Stephanie. We had a great time last night. Hopefully she'll show you the Hare-lot that Katy gave her.

Are you going to NH this weekend? I can't remember if you asked me about it (everything pre-Maryland is a bit of a blur right now), but if you are, let me know.

Either way, celebrate!

11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! That's great. I can't believe how fast you got your order. Happy knitting!

12:01 PM  
Blogger Lorette said...

You did it!!
I always hated the "front row" people in medical school. There were a couple that ALWAYS had their hands up to ask questions. Those of us in the back rows were tempted to throw things at them. Ah the memories.
Have fun with the girls, wish I could be there. The Harlot is coming out here later this summer!

12:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! And how wonderful to be at one of the Harlot events as a reward for all your hard work. I have been enjoying the Harlot madness on knitting blogs from here!!! She sounds like fun, and the events are usually so packed.

Enjoy!

xxx from across the pond,

Jess

2:01 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

Yay! No wonder you looked so happy at the Harlot event tonight. And, very nice to see the bscf stripey sweater in person. I'll post a photo of my bscf Red Sox sweater once I get my new camera in the mail later this week...

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home