Monday, January 29, 2007

where I've been and what comes next

It's been awhile, eh?

(I had someone who heard me talking with a patient ask me if I was from Canada last week - I took it as a huge compliment.)

the quick version: (longer version swallowed whole by blogger....)

-Socks? still being knit. The STR socks are done, various second socks have been started and many toes are sewn up.

-Boards? the scores from the set I took in November (the adventure at JFK airport?) are in and I passed. I'm not sure which was more of a relief: knowing that I didn't have to study for it again, or knowing that I wouldn't have to arrange another flight/stay to PA.

-More Boards? yup, the 8hr computerized exam is tomorrow, set to start at 9am. I've been consistantly scoring in the "passing" range on my practice exams, but as the past has shown, that doesn't mean diddly. I'd rather not have to take these again, but if I have to, I will. (I'd rather remain guardedly optimistic than be disappointed or full of self-fufilling failure.) Riding on the high that came with checking my other board scores will help me with tomorrow's exam.

- location, location, location: I'm currently in Rhode Island (at my friend Katie's) and hope to stick around here for a few more days before taking off for my next rotation. Her cats seem pleased to have another lap and the testing center is a mere 20 minutes from here.

- rotations: My ER rotation is done and I saw and participated in things I may never see again; the sheer volume of patients meant that I saw at least one "interesting" or "non-textbook" case each day. I have many stories to tell, but they'll need to wait while I process them (after boards).

- I'd be lying if I said leaving the Mama's House was easy. My time there was incredible, and from the first moment to the last I felt much like a new strand of yarn being incorporated into a gansey with an already well established pattern. (and in my mind the yarn is all from the same lot). Henry, Eleanor and I read many stories together, had adventures, and discussed the both the finer and more technical things in life (including but not limited to: why we breathe air, where oxygen comes from, why hospitals are open 24hrs a day, why medicines are important, which character we'd invite over for lunch and what the cat and/or dog would say if they could talk...). I regret that I didn't get a good picture of the room I stayed in, but will say that the design elements were eclectic. If I could (and I just might...) schedule another rotation there I would, in a heartbeat.

and for those keeping track:
The Match (when I find out where I will be a resident): 2 weeks
Graduation: 18weeks, 5 days
graduation shawl: pattern chosen, yarn bought but still not dyed

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's nice to hear from you again! Congratulations on passing the practical boards, and good luck on the computerized ones!

7:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good luck on the boards, chica!

7:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on passing the first MAJOR hurdle, and good luck tomorrow, doll.

Miss you.

xo

7:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yippee on the results and good luck for tomorrow. I had a left a witty comment last time but bad blogger ate it - glad you enjoyed your time with Cate.

Rock on girl, your almost there!

7:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your match is early. Good luck!

9:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two weeks?! Good luck!

7:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. We miss you.
2. A lot.
3. Vibes are beaming steadily toward Rhode Island starting at 7 am this morning and continuing all day.
4. Congratulations.
5. I've been cermonially burning the residency information packet you threw into the fire-paper pile. I figure it should help with the match vibes, not that you need them.
6. Miss you, really.
7. They did a maternity episode, just like you said. I know.
8. More vibes.
9. Stopping now.
10. Except to say the STR socks are really awesome, just in case corroboration is needed.

11:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The match is that soon already? Crazy! Good luck! And congratulations and good luck, respectively, on the boards!

3:24 PM  
Blogger claudia said...

Almost there! YEAH!

3:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope your match works out for you. I got my second choice and was broken hearted for a week. After all that, things worked out OK in the end.

I'm sure you have nothing to worry aboot on your exams, but I know exactly how you feel.

6:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Match day as a fourth year is a big event. Good luck. I also enjoyed match day as an intern because I knew that my replacement was out there.

10:47 PM  
Blogger Juno said...

Sending you mind waves of support and stuff from here. Luck.

11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So ... how'd it go???

12:28 PM  
Blogger Jofrog said...

Waiting to Match must be so nerve-wracking! Are you open to anywhere in the country or are you staying in New England? I'll be watching to see... good luck, no matter where it is it will be a great experience!

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home