Monday, December 26, 2005

I missed it!

I missed the birth I was waiting for. Missed it! I've had my pager with me for the past week or so and was really looking forward to meeting the little one I had gotten to know over the previous six or so weeks. Tonight I ran out to the grocery store and didn't have it with me - when I returned to the house I'm catsitting at it was beeping. I called the hospital, thinking I had a long night ahead of me, only to hear that she'd delivered the babe!

(I suppose I should add that the OB shouted to the nurse that I shouldn't feel bad because *he* missed it too...)

I missed it. I'd only missed one other birth on my rotation - at the time I was dog-sitting and left to let the dog out. The woman, who asked me if I could stick around with her, who had been dialating 1cm every two hours then went from 6-10cm and pushed the little one out in less then half an hour. Why? because I left to walk the dog.

the lesson? When I am cat or dog-sitting the pregnant women that have asked me to be present at their delieries will progress so fast that I will miss it.

(edited to add: my mom reminded me that I predicted the babe would arrive today and it did. Yet I'm not nearly as happy about that as I should be. I missed it!)

(I am knitting socks while I swatch for Rogue; there are many reasons why it's the sweater I chose and now my decision is about which yarn to use....(and dare I say that I might need to include a few other colors of yarn that mysteriously bought themselves in my pile of "sweater possibilities" yarn?)

5 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

Is it wrong to say that I'm still chuckling over this? Maybe just a little. Don't fret, my friend. You'll have plenty more births to attend in your lifetime.

11:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure that you'll have plenty of other births to witness. Its the desire to be there that counts.

9:47 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Sorry you missed the birth, but so happy about Rogue. I'm starting next week. Which yarn are you using?

10:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that you're doing Rogue! That's definitely on my longterm to-knit list. I can't wait to track your progress on it.

Happy holidays, and a belated congrats on the boards. Now you can relax and just focus on what you were meant to do - doctoring!

10:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Babies are like that :-)

A belated Happy Birthday -- you're still a mere baby!!

2:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home