Tuesday, December 20, 2005

while I'm regrouping....

here are some links to one of my favorite things about this season.......

You've seen this - but have you seen all of them? (these bring a smile to this sister of an engineer)

my favorite television commercial - who doesn't love a headlamp?

and a short (free!) film staring a Santa Tree Ornament who is on a mission

I'm officially done with my ob/gyn rotation and have two weeks off* before starting a six week stint in heme/oncology (the study of blood and cancer). The last week of ob ran me ragged (the combination of a storm and a full moon!) but I had a good time and had a great delivery that made the entire thing worth it. A final "what I learned on this rotation" is in progress and will appear sometime this week. (The belated happiness is.... post may show up at some point too.)

(* though I am free of any hospital duties these two weeks I asked to be paged when a patient that I've been following comes to the hospital in labor. I met her during my first week on the labor and delivery floor and saw her 1-2x week for 6 weeks. She asked if I would be there for the delivery and I can't wait until I get the call! She will deliver in the next two weeks so now it's just a matter of waiting for the page...)

knitting: it's great to have time to think about what is next up on my "to do" list and after a few small holiday projects are completed, I think it's time to dive into a sweater. Today I went through my set-aside-for-a-sweater yarn stash and have a few contenders - more on that to come when I can get daylight pictures. I sent a handful of hats off to Kaleidoscope Yarns today and my fingers are crossed that they'll arrive before the deadline for getting them to the shelters. (I'm not worried about entering the contest - I just want to make sure they get to people who need them!)

All in all I'm glad that I have some time for myself right now but I do feel more disoriented now that I don't have a place to be every morning. My car looks like it's been lived in and the library of books in the backseat all need to come in and be reshelved. The pile of clean laundry waiting to be ironed could take over a small country and I'm afraid of what is possible if it ganged on up on me with the waiting-to-be-washed loads - all I know is that I'd loose. The piles of yarn all over the house need to be gathered and sorted and put away (somewhere?) and I need to figure out if everything in the fridge is still good. Life seemed easier when I just didn't care about these sorts of things....

(I think I'd like a helper elf for Christmas. Is that possible, or am I too late to order one?)

8 Comments:

Blogger Carole Knits said...

If you figure out where to order that elf, let me know, will ya? I've got lots of cookies to bake and a helper elf sounds like a plan!

6:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

fun links - I'll have to show the musical light up house videos to the kids ;) Don't worry about the mess too much - it'll just come back once it gets put away (I know, I'm so helpful). - Sara

7:08 AM  
Blogger Elinor said...

You need a couple of kids - forget the elf. My little cousins came to visit me this last weekend and they rolled yarn into balls for me! They thought it was a great game! HAAAAAAAAAAA! I hate doing that. It was so nice to have it done for me! Borrow your neighbor's/sibling's/cousin's/friend's children and make a game out of it!

Your next rotation sounds like it will be really sad. At least, harder to take than OBGYN. I look forward to reading your posts.

Good luck with the organization. I find a strong cup of coffee gets me going. Once I've done the dishes stacked in the sink, the rest is easy. ;-)

8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Useful elves are in short supply. Demand far exceeds availability.

9:21 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Sounds like re-entry can be challenging. Hope we'll get to see you in the next couple of weeks. :)

12:47 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

I think the best part of my OB rotation was that we wore scrubs all the time, and just threw them all in the dirty laundry basket at the hospital. No laundry for a long time . . .

Enjoy the vacation - you've earned it! And remember this on Heme/Onc - 40% of adult cancers are cured. Compare that to, oh, say, CHF or Diabetes. Clearly, you excel at establishing a relationship and rapport with patients (how cool is it that this patient really wants *you* at her delivery?!?!), that will definitely come in handy on Heme/Onc.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

Helper elf? Where can I get me one of those ???

2:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you found a helpful elf or two. Have a lovely Xmas... I have enjoyed reading your blog this year.

8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home