Saturday, December 24, 2005

twenty-six

today I am officially 26 years old.

I say "officially" because I've been trying it on and answering the "how old are you" question with "26" for the past few weeks. I like the way it sounds, and so far I've had good luck with it. I look younger then my age and though people questioned 25, no one has said anything about 26.
I'm finally on this side of my twenties, headed on to 30. I welcome the new year and if the trend of each year being better then the last continues then this is bound to be a good one.

I arrived to the world a few weeks early (I make no promises that the early thing will ever happen again) and didn't tip the scales much beyond 4lbs, but was healthy enough to get away with only a few extra days in the hospital. The cold winter didn't scare my parents and I grew to love layers and being wrapped in several blankets.


(the original polaroid says: Kristen and Linwood, Jan 11th 1980)

Today is bittersweet for me though, as the gentleman in this picture died on my sixth birthday. He was a phenominal honorary uncle who loved my family as his own and the smell of a pipe still takes me back to sitting in his kitchen with a homemade cookie straight from one of his vintage collectable cookie jars. The irony of his death on my birthday is something I take the time to think about today and our family has a grand time retelling his stories.

The holidays are a wonderful time for my immediate family as we have waaaay too much fun together. I wish you all a wonderful weekend and the happiest of holidays!

14 Comments:

Blogger Kathy said...

Wishing you a happy birthday and holidays full of warmth and loving memories - both of past and in the making.

5:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy happy birthday K! That picture is great - you are so bright eyed, and Linnwood clearly adored you. Enjoy - Sara

5:57 AM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Happy birthday, Kristen!

7:49 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

Oh, you were a wee thing! Happy Birthday!

8:22 AM  
Blogger Katy said...

So tiny!
Happy happy birthday!

8:27 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Happy Birthday and Merry Christmas to you, Kristen. Hope I'll get to wish you the same in person soon (I keep saying it because then it will come true, you know?). :)

11:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday! This year, it times it just right for a restful, joyous celebration of your day. Have a wonderful holiday.

11:39 AM  
Blogger claudia said...

Have a wonderful day and a fantastic 26th year!

1:22 PM  
Blogger Lorette said...

Have a very happy birthday! And Happy Holidays, too!

4:34 PM  
Blogger Nikki said...

Hope you had a very happy birthday!

12:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Happy Birthday!!!

3:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Belated Happy Birthday!!

Katyknits

10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa. This is what I get for falling behind on my blog reading - very belated but nonetheless sincere happy birthday and wonderful new year wishes to you. I love the baby picture!

8:49 AM  
Blogger Cathi said...

I hope you had a very happy one, Kristen!

4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home