Sunday, December 04, 2005

happiness is....


- a sock-in-progress knit with trekking xxl and size US 1's (tiny for me)
- koigu, waiting for it's turn on the needles (or to be shoved into the stash; it's fate is still up in the air)
- a pager that did not go off this weekend
- a "my so called" scarf that is thisclose to being done
- fresh purple juice
- being able to sleep in, two days in a row

I'm working on some holiday knitting, but it's a collection of simple things that I can pick up and put down. Chances are good that they'll be done by the 25th, but if not it won't be the first time I've gifted balls of yarn and needles with the promise of a finished product. I'm itching to get going on a pair of socks on US2s, but I'm trying to limit how many socks I have going. (I have a cabled pair of "homemade dyed yarn socks currently stalled just before the heel" currently on the 2s. Working on them again will require thinking. I'm not there yet.)

I didn't realize how tired I was until I had time to sleep this weekend. When I am at the hospital or in the clinics I am "ON" and go and go and go because I love what I'm doing and I'm excited to be there. (especially when women are in active labor and babes are being born left and right) It's not until I "stop" that my exhaustion catches up to me, and I enjoy being able to sit around the house in my jammies with cups of tea, junk tv and my knitting. I love to shop but hate the crowds of people and traffic that is out this time of year, so I stay out of the way and get what I need to (groceries and gas) in the late evening hours. It's cut down on my yarn buying because by the time I get out, the yarn shops are closed!

I'm 4 weeks into my 6 week ob/gyn rotation and I can now see the benefit of a 4 week rotation. At this point I know my way around the floors, know the nurses (and which ones are good and which ones are excellent), and have seen some patients more then once so they now know who I am and ask if I'm around to help with their monitoring... but I feel like I've been doing this a long, long time. Next year I'll have the freedom to create my own schedule and 4 weeks is the standard length for a rotation. (even in my internship year of residency the rotations are 4 weeks long) This isn't to say that I won't put 100% into the next two weeks (and perhaps the few births I'm hoping to see in the two week "winter break" I have after that) but hearing about how my classmates are sick of what they are doing is dragging me down. I do love OB, but the days without any action sure are loooong.

(this means that my ob/gyn ramblings will only persist for another two weeks; then knitting and dyeing and even drop spindling return to center stage)

Theresa, a knitting 4th year med student, is someone I met at the first Willows-YarnHarlot book signing I attended. She just started a blog - please go and say hi!

And Elinor, a former lurker here, just started her own blog too - check out Exercise before Knitting and welcome her to the knitting blog world.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kathy said...

Sleeping in is pure gold, isn't it?

10:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love the colours of 'my so called scarf'! It sure is good to sleep.

4:52 AM  
Blogger J. said...

I love purple juice as well and sleep has a marvelous way of making everythng look a little better. A glad you are well. When do hear about the boards?

12:33 PM  
Blogger Elinor said...

What happens after your OBGYN rotation? Do you know where you'll be going?

US 1s and 0s are so hard for me to work on. I wish you much patience!

9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home