Tuesday, April 12, 2005

A post from within the walls of school...

(my laptop has lived at home for the past several months and it’s odd to have it here in one of the coveted small study rooms at school…I came in early today to work on a case presentation with my group.)

Yesterday’s “deliver a plastic baby though a simulated birth canal” workshop was an experience. I can only hope, for both the sake of the mom and myself, that the first few women I examine to determine dilation/effacement/station are heavily drugged and are not able to feel anything. (which I find a bit odd because I’ve always said I’d support natural childbirth and will attempt my own labors without drugs…) We had five different models to try, each with a different degree of dilation; I have a ways to go before I can tell the difference between 6-8 centimeters! (at that point the babies head is protruding through the cervix, and I had a hard time reaching my small fingers around to see where the cervix was.)

One of the midwives there had on a sweater I recognized immediately; it was handknit from a Green Mountain Spinnery pattern I have – it was the pattern I had hoped to be my first ever sweater! (this was 7-8 years ago and it has since been ripped so the Encore yarn could be reclaimed.) She thought it was strange that a student questioned her about her sweater, but seemed to warm up to the idea that another knitter was in her midst. I guess not all knitters like to talk about the things they’ve made?

I brought my latest cotton project to work on today, but I’m not sure how far I’ll get on it. My group has all left the room to find lunch, and I’m hoping to get a few rows done before I head to class at 1:00.

(I had an I’m a SUCH a democrat moment this morning when listening to the “America’s Majority” sponsored “Save Social Security” (even though it doesn’t need saving and there are much more important things to be working on) “hip hop” themed radio commercial aimed at the “young working generation” on my way in. I’m ready for my local NPR to be done with the fundraising pledge breaks…)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home