Sunday, May 29, 2005

happiness is....

-the sun! (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
- getting to Webs before they closed, on the last day of their sale
- an evening with Cate and Rys, Sara, Risa and their Amazing kids
- a brunch to meet Marcy, Helen, Lynn and her daughter
- a fiber festival where I met up with Laurie (and her incredible husband), Claudia, Rosemary and several others who enjoyed the Linzer Tart and Death By Chocolate brownies
- Linzer tart and Death By Chocolate Brownies
- a new spindle, one that felt right and was the correct weight, and knowing how to use it

It’s phenomenal how one word can change an entire thought, and how much I heard it used during my time in Massachusetts. This magic word can turn these thoughts

*I don’t know what I’d do with those colors.
*I don’t know how to spin.
*I’m not interested in a spinning wheel.

Into these thoughts….


*I don’t know what I’d do with those colors yet.
*I don’t know how to spin yet.
*I’m not interested in a spinning wheel, yet.

The people I met had a great way of introducing me to possibility: nothing was impossible, and their positive attitude and amazing ability to introduce an idea (and not push it but rather say, with a knowing smile, that once I tried it myself I’d be hooked) was infectious. Cate, Risa and Sara taught me the basics of a new fiber language and helped me pick out a spindle and fiber that would work best for a beginner; Claudia (in her amazing “wire” top – it’s nothing like I thought it would be and is actually flexible and almost “soft;” nothing like chain mail (as I imagined it would)) and Rosemary appeared (almost out of nowhere!) and after a demonstration they had me trying to use my new spindle. Claudia didn’t leave me any time to be nervous or worried about it and had the patience of a saint when it came to showing my fingers where to be. I’m sure that part of my enjoyment of spinning is due to the way I was taught, and I owe them! (in another few years, when I finally feel like I’ve got this down (ie no longer park and drafting; I don't see an end to that anytime soon) I vow to spread the enjoyment and will teach a few newbies in a similar way….)

What people say, and how passionately they say it, about spinning is true – it has a lure that is unlike knitting; the process of turning fiber INTO yarn hasn’t (yet) lost it’s novelty on me, and even though I know I’m turning out a beginners fiber (lumps and bumps aplenty) I love it. I even giggle every now and then when I look at what I’m doing and laugh when I think about how simple it is. One of my favorite college biology professors used to tell us how the first yarn from a spinner has lumps and bumps and often frustrates the person attempting to create an evenly spun yarn. He told us that if we ever spun we should hold onto the first yarn because at some point, when we want to be able to spin unevenly, we won't be able to. I don’t think he spins (I think the story came from his wife’s experiences) but I plan to put a bit of what I’ve done in the mail to him.

If I “saw” you from a distance, or if you said “hi” but didn’t get an amazing response from me it’s partially because I was a bit overwhelmed by the whole weekend. I wish it didn’t take me so long to “warm up” and feel comfortable around people, as those who saw me for more then a few minutes saw! [My awfulness at first impressions is one of the reasons why I’ll never work in an ER; my patients would probably hate me. (the other reasons include how the first and only time I’ve truly passed out was on an ER preceptorship….) Those who get to know me have learned to disregard the first few minutes of the meeting.] Though, in the first few minutes of meeting Lynn (spelling may change if I've spelled it wrong!) we have agreed to knit Rouge together. As soon as she finishes spinning the yarn for it (can you believe it? spinning that much yarn?) we'll dive in. I can't wait, and think it'll be nice to work on it while another person is also knitting along.

When Risa and her kids and I returned to Cate’s house they set about trying to corrupt me to stay another night. Everyone – including Sara’s kids and Risa’s twins (albeit indirectly) had a reason for me to stay and Cate (don’t ever get into an argument with her: you will loose. I’m not sure how she does it, but she can get a person to change their mind and think they are crazy for ever believing otherwise!) devised a schedule that included me studying in her house, spending time at the library and still getting in some quality knitting and spindling time; she assured me that she’d feed me, and that a good time would be had by all. She *almost* had me, but the three hour drive was going to be long either day I traveled and in the end I hit the road. (If boards weren’t in just over a week I’d have been asking her I could stay!) In the end I’ll admit that I probably could have spent another night and gotten just as much done, but now I’m home and have the hope to meet up with her again. (and after learning where Risa is I may go ahead and do a peds rotation at a hospital I’d been considering; it happens to be right near her!)

The weekend was about more then just fiber; it was a break from my books and a chance to learn and see what else is out there. I’m glad I went, and can’t wait until the fiber frolic so I can do it again. (maybe by then I’ll have plying questions that need answers….)


(not to worry, I am getting studying done. I might need to head to Borders without my spindle tomorrow morning, but I’m slowly (and not-so-willingly) finding my groove again.)

4 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

It's probably not too late to sign up for the Alden Amos spinning workshop at the Frolic on Sat. morning. I'll be there both days, it would be great to meet up. And by then, you should be feeling even more relaxed! :)

8:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm trying not to be so illogically happy that so many people were introduced to spinning this weekend.

Your descriptions of the people and learning experiences at Cummington were great.

Here's to friends and wonderful new beginnings.

9:12 AM  
Blogger Rosemary said...

Hee Hee, If you need that plying assistance at Fiber Frolic, look for me on Saturday. I'll be there with Lucy (spinning teacher extraordinaire) and my spindle collection. Happy to help corrupt you.

12:30 PM  
Blogger CrazyFiberLady said...

Once again thank you so much for your help with the twins! I very much enjoyed meeting you and sharing your company. Ooooh, I hope you do that peds rotation near me. How cool would that be? I can feed you too and you're more than welcome to play with my spinning wheels. As I told Cate, you were a perfect addition to the gathering she assembled.

1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home