Friday, January 28, 2005

spiv questionaire

1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer high- and/natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you?
I think I might be a yarn snob because I do try and avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand, unless the project I'm working on is for a child or a charity (The Project Linus blanket needs to be washable, so it's out of a Lion Brand yarn). I much prefer natural fibers.

2. Do you spin? Crochet? I'd like to (someday) learn how to spin, but for now I don't do either.

3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.) No allergies to pets but I do not like strong perfumes or the smell of smoke.

4. How long have you been knitting? I learned how several years ago, but picked it up again a year and a half ago and haven't been able to put it down.

5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? nope

6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.) lavender (if it's "real") or citrus

7. Do you have a sweet tooth? yes

8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? I have a sewing machine and a stash of fabric that rivals my yarn stash, but I haven't had the same success quilting while in school as I have knitting in school. The projects I do now need to be portable or easy to complete in short periods of time.

9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD) I can play MP3's; my taste in music is eclectic - anything from John Hiatt to Lyle Lovett (not country) to Tori Amos to Enya and other "folk" music (Dar Williams, and celtic anthologies). I love music sung by Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong and the people who have redone some of the old classics that they sang (Nat King Cole, Fisher).

10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? my favorite colors are the colors of the sky just before it's dark out, or the colors of the ocean: deep and/or dusky purples, periwinkles, various shades of blues. I'm finding that I'll knit with just about anything though - and have recently been thinking about pinks/reds.

11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets? I'm single and live by myself in an appartment. I used to have the world's best hampster, but she passed away last year; otherwise, no pets.

12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know) I'd like to finish med school and my training in one piece; spend some time in Ireland; and not be single forever.

13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? I love wool: Cascade 220 and other Peruvian wools, Merino wools and I love "local" or handspun/hand dyed yarns. I also love verigated wools that have lots of different colors or shades of the same color. I like wools that are worsted, or have some substance to them.

14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? I haven't jumped on the novelty yarn bandwagon because I don't like them. That's not to say that I won't ever use them, but they aren't my first choice for me.

15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s? Fair Isle, "complicated" cables and dying my own yarn with drink mix

16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? I just finished my first pair of socks, and they won't be my last! I love knitting in the round (on either dpns or circulars) and also enjoy seeing a sweater evolve.

17. What are you knitting right now? I'm finishing up a sweater for my mom, a cabled scarf, a toddler sweater with intarsia, and a blanket and mittens. I do best when there are more then three projects going because then I always have something that is "easy" for knitting in class or when I study.

18. What do you think about ponchos? they look nice on other people, but I'd rather have a shawl or a scarf.

19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? both? I like circulars for sweaters in the round and hats, straight needles for sweater pieces and dpn's for smaller projects and socks. I'd much rather knit in the round then seam.

20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? all three? bamboo dpn's and circulars, aluminum circulars and straight needles (small - mid range sizes that I'd worry about breaking if they were bamboo or plastic) and plastic/bamboo stright needles in larger sizes.

21. Are you a sock knitter? if one pair down and the promise to make more makes me a sock knitter, then yes!

22. How did you learn to knit? I found a set of interchangeable needles when cleaning out a closet with my mom and asked her to show me how. I knit off and on (a lot more "off") in high school and though I picked it up a bit in college it wasn't until my first year of med school had started that I really dove into it again. Now I can't imagine not knitting.

23. How old is your oldest UFO? I just finished my noro sweater that was started October 1st. I like to finish things in a timely manor and find that if I'm choosing not to work on something then I've probably changed my mind and won't wear it, or I don't like it as much as I thought I would.

24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird? Winne The Pooh and I love rabbits.

25. What is your favorite holiday? Easter

26. Is there anything that you collect? collect? not really. I love photography and neat pictures (of just about anything) that other people have taken.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home