Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Things I would write about, if I had time.

(Life has gotten very busy. Very, very busy. I'm not sure if I'm excited about all of the busy'ness, but I don't really have a choice in the matter. Trying to get things to line up, even out and knit up is taking longer then I thought it would.)

- does a metal six inch long size US 1.0 sock needle exist? if so, where can I find a set (or two, or three?)

- does all koigu stripe? or is it possible to get some that varigates? if yours varigated, what size needle and how many stitches did you use?

- how much I loved wearing my purple trekking socks today, even though I didn't weave in the last yarn end.

- the things I've seen and learned in this (last week) of my oncology rotation

- two people tagging me in a 24 hour time period, and the result of mixing the two tagged'able memes into one

- how nice it is to have my car (in (knock on wood) good working condition) again and how the decisions I'm trying to make about where I'm going to be next year all revolve around how I'm not sure I can get my car to the west coast (and back again....). Feel free to suggest medical centers (that are visiting med student friendly) in areas with lots of public transportation (or cheap car rentals), near a fairly large and easy to fly into airport AND potential housing (lots of sublets, people who are willing to rent me a room for a month or another random possibility you know of....). Figuring all of this out has been giving me a whole new bunch of grey hairs.

- how my Olympic Knitting will shape up, and the debate I keep having about swatching/not-swatching. I joined Team Boston and will do my darndest to get the "Kristen" hat finished in the 16 days.

- how there are other knitting med student/resident/doctor blogs that I've found but never get around to linking to

- There are many other random things that have crossed my mind, but I haven't had time to put it out there. For now, I've got to put my head down and focus on the myriad of things that keep coming up. Pictures and a more indepth knitting update to happen later this week or weekend.

Stay warm!

13 Comments:

Blogger Theresa said...

Come to San Diego! Seriously . . . Not only will I be there, but it's warm. Several hospitals. OK public transit in certain areas.

7:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Susan Bates makes a 7" dpn.

8:14 AM  
Blogger Lucia said...

Kristen, I hope this is not your third meme! -- I am tagging you with Four Things. Yes, we have met, at Willow Books/Crossroads Cafe. I was the one with the weird cabled teal knee socks. I didn't have a blog then; now I do. First thing I know, I'm tagged!

(My word verification string is fuyku. The random-alphabet-generator gods have an odd sense of humor. Or maybe that's just me.)

8:19 AM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Inox makes an 7" metal needle .... I got some at a yarn shop in Newburyport (the one by the parking garage), and I love them.

8:38 AM  
Blogger Danielle said...

I'm not sure if you'd see these as striped or variegated, but here are some Koigu socks I made ...
http://aswiminknits.blogspot.com/2005/10/sock-complishment.html

Unless the color runs are only a half inch long, so that each stitch is a different color, there will be some sort of stripey effect. In mine, you can see that certain colors run for a few inches, and then change. It's stripey because of that, but not like truly striping yarns, if that makes sense.

Needle specs etc. are in the post, but keep in mind that I am a somewhat tight knitter.

I'm going to be using some Artyarns Ultramerino 4 soon, which seems similar in weight and coloring to Koigu (but not machine washable!). It will be interesting to see how the colors come together...

9:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy knitting during the olympics!

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got my 6 in dpns from Nancy Bush at the Wooly West.

12:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Inox makes 2mm and 2.5mm in a great 5" needle. Susan Bates makes a 2.25mm in 7" (someone said that already). Brittany and Clover both make that 2.25mm (which is really what a US1 is), but you said metal. I tried ordering Aero dpns from Canada once for that size, but they sent Susan Bates - I've been using them and they're nice, but come in sets of 4.

I'll stop blathering now. ;-)

12:25 PM  
Blogger Nikki said...

Come to Canada! www.fhs.mcmaster.ca/mdprog
We'd love to have you!!

My Koigu seems to variegate. I used U.S. 3's and 56 or 60 stitches.

8:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Link, baby, link. I want to see more of us.

Concentrate, actually, on what pulls your chain hardest. Probably the Olympic knitting right now?

10:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm at a hospital in NYC...mass transit galore, a fun place to spend a month, and I'd imagine a sublet or match-up with another medical student might be possible!

I made some Koigu gloves that didn't stripe. There's a photo on my blog - fishknit.prettyposies.com

Can you believe you're over 1/2way through 3rd year?!?

4:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops, it's fishknits

4:50 PM  
Blogger Carina said...

Come to Kalamazoo, MI for a rotation or two. We have the airport, the free parking and short drives (people complain if anything takes longer than 20 min.), and I'm sure I could hook you up with cheap housing somehow. I know people. ;)

You could do your internal medicine rotation with my hubby who loves to teach. It could work out somehow. Just let me know, and I'll contact the right people to get it in motion. :D

6:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home