Monday, June 06, 2005

bored with boards

A conversation had earlier this afternoon with my brain:

brain: you realize I’m full, right?
me: oh no, you don’t fill up. I just have a few more things I want to review.
b: no, really, I’m full and I’m tired and I’m done with this studying gig.
m: just hold on a sec, we’re almost there! This is a team effort – you can’t give up now!
b: team? Ha! that headache coming on? It will only get worse. Stop while you’re ahead.
m: but I have a list!!! I need to review the clotting cascade one more time! And which interleukins go with which cell types, and then I wanted to draw out the micro chart again!
b: do you want me to dump everything you’ve shoved in over the past few weeks?
m: no! no! no!
b: good. Go take a nap. Call it a day.

A midafternoon shower and a longer then I’d have liked nap later, my brain is back, and I think I’ll be able to work in a few more concepts before falling asleep tonight.

for those that got here via google, or had questions about how this works….my boards: two days = each day has two 4 hour blocks, each block has 200 questions. It’s one of the last pencil and paper exams, and in the future will be one day on a computer at a testing center, instead of being held at school.

And finally, a poem for written for tonight……..

all across the United States
t’was the night before day one.
I’m off to bed (with books under my pillow)
my alarm set to be up with the sun.

an old med school roommate of mine
used to eat fish the eve of a test
I’ll eat tuna for breakfast
if it’ll get me more points then the rest.

my #2 pencils are sharp,
I’ve got 3 forms of ID
at the door they might take my thumbprint,
just to make sure that I’m me!

no breaks once the exam begins
so for hours in one spot I’ll sit.
(I’d feel better about the whole thing
if only they’d let me knit!)

some have lucky underwear
or socks they haven’t washed
me? my striped sweater is unfinished,
but in each pocket there’ll be something I swatched.

I knit them while I was cramming,
these last few days and weeks
in hopes what I studied will eeep back out
(this system beats socks that reek!)

thanks for all the previous comments
the good thoughts and wishes you’ve sent
if I could send you each a sheep I would
to me it’s that much (or more!) that they’ve meant.

(this is the end of my board rambling; even I am sick of hearing about them. Thank you to everyone who has read and followed along - knitting and spinning will return, with a vengence, later this week!)

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck good luck good luck!

I'm sure you'll be great. My brain is full just thinking about the test - letting alone studying for it (and then taking it!)

May it go quickly.

6:21 PM  
Blogger Pumpkinmama said...

Good luck - have been enjoying reading your updates on both the med school adventure as well as your knitting.

7:44 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

It will be over soon, and I'm sure you'll do fine. Good luck, I'll be thinking of you. Too bad I won't be able to buy you a beer at the Frolic. ;)

8:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck. Breath deeply every now and then to slow the HR. And don't study tomorrow night. Relax. Go to bed early. Knit. I'm not kidding.

10:33 PM  
Blogger J. said...

you go girl! you'll be great but I am nervous and they aren't even my exams, I can imagine the stress though.

6:35 AM  
Blogger CrazyFiberLady said...

Good luck Kristen! I'll be thinking of you and sending you happy vibes. You'll do fine!

I love the poem and its very nice you can converse like that with your brain. Maybe you can help Cate with her migraine conversation :)

Seriously, take a deep breath, relax and go get em.

9:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck, Kristen! I'm sure you'll do great. And I'm looking forward to the knitting/spinning vengence!

10:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

GOOD LUCK!!!

9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home