Sunday, January 16, 2005

20 Things About Me

(in order to study the “100 things” is going to need to be broken up into pieces…)

81. I grew up in a capital city and then went to college in a capital city of another state. Now I live an hour or so outside of the capital, but am looking to return to that area eventually.
82. My undergrad major started out as physical therapy, but then I fell in love with biochemistry and switched over to a full-out american chemical society biochem degree. At some point in my last year of undergrad I dropped the acs certification and saved myself from a 4+ hour long physical chemistry lab. I don’t regret it.
83. When I first changed my major (during my first year) everyone assumed I’d go to medical school. I always laughed and told them that no, I was going to get a PhD, save the world from a major disease, win a nobel prize and retire by the ocean.
84. A summer internship in a chemistry lab changed my mind and I started studying for the mcat (med college admissions test) and looking into medical schools. No one but myself was surprised.
85. I shouldn’t have been surprised – my standard answer to the “what do you want to be when you grow up” question was always “a doctor.”
86. Now I’m a year and a half into med school and am looking forward to the “classes” aspect of my education to end. My next two years are spent in clincal situations with patients and I think the whole “going to be a doctor” will feel real then.
87. At this point I want to go into family practice with some manipulation; I’m looking into programs that will let me do a dual residency in family practice and neuromuscular medicine – NMM is another term for OMM: osteopathic manipulative medicine.
88. Based on my previous experiences passing out in each of them, I don’t want to work in an emergency room or be a surgeon. (read below for the latest story)
89. I love working with kids and look forward to delivering them. (such is why FP is a good idea for me: I can deliver them, care for them, and then watch them grow up!)
90. I’ve never worked in retail, as a waitress or in a job that requires I talk on the phone. Instead I’ve worked for the postal service, as a lifeguard, at a summer camp and in a kitchen. I’ve also been watching other peoples kids for over 14 years.
91. My favorite colors are all shades of blues and purples – though the very bold bright blues and purples aren’t my favorites. Instead I find myself drawn to the dusky, mutted colors and colors that mimic the color of the sky just after the sun sets before the darkness falls.
92. I started a blog because of how much I enjoyed reading everyone elses blog. I had no idea the online knitting community was as big as it is and I’m glad I’m a part of it now.
93. I’m a liberal, straight but not narrow, tree-hugging, healthcare for everyone supporting, pacifist-ic democrat. That makes me one of those left-wingers who believes in a woman’s right to choose, marriage for two people no matter what sex they are, and peace is the right way.
94. Close-mindedness bothers me more then I wish it did. I respect that everyone has an opinion, but don’t understand how people can think/vote in a way that restricts rights for people different from themselves.
95. I knit in class. I think it’s the only way I’m gong to get through school.
96. Decaf non-fat vanilla latte or decaf non-fat peppermint mocha from Starbucks (or any local coffehouse) please!
97. Right now I drink as much tea as I do coffee; it’s a balance that shifts both ways.
98. I wish my wrist were feeling better so I could knit. Reading pathology books is much more interesting when I’m working on a project. I knit as often as I can – and people are learning that I can have a conversation without paying attention to my knitting. It throws them at first, but they get over it.
99. I’m taking my knitting with me to the conference in Reno this March; I plan on knitting on the plane (while studying for boards) and during as many lectures as I can.
100. I don’t have a huge yarn stash because this summer I have to pack up most of what I own and put it into storage while I move into “student housing” for my clerkship years. That fact hasn’t stopped me from buying yarn, it just means that I don’t have a whole lot of “fun” yarns that I bought “just because” I liked it. I'm excited for a time when that will change.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home