Sunday, January 09, 2005

Happiness is....

-being able to park my car and leave it for a few days in the same place, thus dodging the parking ban
-being able to watch the snow plows and other heavy machinery moving snow across the street
-having friends who are on their way to another part of the state come by for a quick "hello" and "how are you?" chat
-being able to sit and knit whenever I wanted this weekend
-fresh vegetables with dinner
-Burts Bees Beeswax Lip Balm
-clean sheets and all of the blankets piled high
-figuring out how to post pictures!

I think Sundays are a good day of the week to take stock in what happiness is; it helps me to realize that I have a lot to be thankful for, and helps me to change my outlook for the week.

The pictures below go with a few of the past entries; the kitty pi was actually done with Pattons Merino wool and Reynolds Lopi, not the superwash I posted earlier. (I realized after knitting a bit that the superwash wouldn't felt, and chalked it up to being overtired and took it out.) I did add fun fur and was happy with how it came out! (I heard from Levi's owner that he's still using it, much to both of our surprises!)

A few weeks ago I taught myself how to knit in the "contential" or "picking" style. I originally learned so I'd be able to attempt fair isle knitting (with the Debbie Bliss cotton/wool) but have found that it's easier on my wrists for everyday knitting. I'm still not as fast or as acurate as I was "throwing" the yarn, and it's hard for me to hold two strands on dpns, but I know that eventually it'll be as easy and second nature as "English" knitting is.

I haven't had any luck finding a fair isle pattern, so my next step is to see what the bookstore has in stock. I read some reviews of "Traditional Fair Isle" and that might be the book I've been looking for.

This week my yarn from elann and helloknitty (I think that's the name?) should arrive. I started my brothers Bruins color scarf last year, but the yarn is stiff (100% bulky acrylic) and not very comfortable. I found cascade 220 yarn in the right colors (bright yellow and black) and ordered it - I've used cascade 220 and quatro in the past, and have been pleased with the final projects. (I love my quatro scarf so much that at my local yarn stores anual winter sale I ordered enough to make a sweater out of.) I also ordered sock yarn, which serve as a good motivator to get my not-yet-completed first ever sock done.

(I know there are many terms out there for people who have a half dozen projects going...I think I fit into that category.)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home