Sunday, November 12, 2006

putting yarn buying in perspective....

- clinical boards exam fee for Nov 30th: $995
- flight to Philly for boards: $400
- hotel room for stay outside of Philly for 2 nights: $450
- hours spent studying for the boards so far: 20+
- hours spent on residency application: 25+
- fee for submitting residency application: $110
- fee for computer based boards, still not scheduled: $495
- fee for January ER rotation: $150
- graduation fees paid so far: $55
- weeks til graduation: 28
- rotations left to schedule: 2
- miles put on my car since August: 6,000+

- yarn bought this past week: $150
- hours said yarn will last: 40+


(my eye is feeling much better; using Rx antibiotic goop to "glue" it shut several times this weekend seems to have helped. Thank you for all of the positive thoughts over the past several weeks - I am still behind in getting back to everyone but hope to be caught up soon!)

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The ubiquitous "they" are making this harder and harder. I remember being outraged at the exam fees, but that is only worse.

I was also very cash strapped in medical school.

6:29 AM  
Blogger maryse said...

the cost per hour of the yarn purchase is clearly the more economical choice.

you have my sympathies.

6:37 AM  
Blogger J. said...

hand knit socks - priceless. I hated that about teachers college, pay for this exam and that cerrtification... I just went through 5 years of school, do you think I have 500 bucks that I don't need.

I would of bought the yarn too

8:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy Crap, that's a lot of money. And then you have to PAY to work in an emergency room?? So not fair.

10:59 AM  
Blogger Jocele said...

Don't you just love how you're already strapped for cash, and they keep asking for more. Hang in there...things will get better.

11:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My cupcake, if it would make your life in any way simpler, sleep on my couch. 45 minutes to Philly on the train from here.

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just recently found your blog and have been enjoying it. I took my husband to the dr yesterday and thought about your recent post...He had an appointment for the next morning but was really having a hard time breathing so I made him let me run him by (they take walk-ins). The dr acted as if we were the only people he had to worry about, as if he had all the time in the world and it really meant alot! You hang in there and be the kind of dr you want to be! Your patients will appreciate it!

4:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kristen, Rhi forwarded me your blog and I have just begun reading and I am already (pardon the pun) hooked. I love it! Keep knitting, keep writing, and keep flushing out that eye. I want you to have 2 good eyes on 95 when you are running back and forth, or baring that to come sleep in our now empty bedroom. Emphasis: ANYTIME. Great to see you yesterday. If you're in Portland Sunday afternoon, join me for a knitting circle stitch and bitch. Peace, love and good yarn, Kim

2:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, i'm a final year vet student and also studying for the vet version of boards. Just noticed lots of similarities betwn your blog and what I do too. Goodluck with your exams!

12:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home