Saturday, March 04, 2006

taking inventory....

Now that spring is set to start in three weeks, winter has decided to kick into gear. (Lovely.)
The morning temps have been single digits (F) and I've been bundling up. The gear?

Coat for keeping my torso warm, a hat for my head and ears, scarf for my neck and socks for keeping my feet warm. (the hat? it's fabulously warm. Thank you for all of the kind words about it!)

Mittens?

They've seen better days. They are the same ones that I made last year - a collection of firsts. The yarn is the first yarn I dyed (think drink mix) and they were the first pair of mittens I knit. The cuffs have never been long enough, the seam rubs and they are pilling and felted in spots.

I think it's time for a new pair.

new mittens are in the works; right now I'm in the "where'd that ball of yarn that might be a perfect match for that other missing color (where is *that* ball?)" stage. The stranded mitten that I thought I'd frogged (due to size - it's too small...but might grow with blocking?) never made it to the pond. Keep knitting? frog? I was making it up as I went along, so it wouldn't be hard to start over.

I also dug up all of the projects that have been haunting me.

This crazy attempt at a striped sweater that has been a wonderful learning experience? I finally took it into the yarn store today and got some help and advice- it should be finished by the end of this weekend. (the other items on the "to be done by the end of this weekend" list are my brother's Christmas scarf (he's skiing tomorrow - that should be done by tonight) and the koigu socks for my mom.)

It was a rough week, for many many reasons, and I'm enjoying being at home with a cup of tea and my knitting. Normally I shy away from "to do" lists, but now it's giving me something to focus on. I think the Olympic challenge changed my look on deadlines because I'd usually throw the unfinished things back onto the pile and keep knitting new things. Now I feel like I need to tie up the loose ends (or weave them in?) before I can dig into a new project (new sweater or revisit sleeves of Rogue?) and think about what is next.

Socks, of course, don't count. [Sock yarn however, does. When I took to hiding it with my food in the pantry, I realized there was a problem. I do not need to buy any more sock yarn.]

9 Comments:

Blogger Amy Boogie said...

The colder air has been a bit of a shock here as well. Warm January/February and a freezing March - no sense.

Your hat is great and I love the stripey sweater.

4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you hiding your stash from yourself? That can't be a good sign.

I'm getting the finish-itis bug too. All those nearly finished projects are mocking me from the pile in the corner.

6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiding sock yarn in your pantry...now there's an idea! Spring (even if it doesn't feel like spring) has a way of making us feel like finishing up winter. It's a good idea and will give you a clear slate to start anew on something else wonderful.

6:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

With some (occasional) exceptions, your accessories are looking rather blue.

I'm glad the stripey sweater is being resurrected. Maybe you should finish it for Easter?

I'm not liking this cold all that much. I have officially declared it time for spring.

6:52 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

I didn't even realize that your new hat would go so perfectly with your blue jacket. Very nice.

Glad to hear the stripey sweater is finally going to be finished up. Albatross!

I think this is the last of the cold. Have you seen the forecast for the week? Very, very nice. :)

7:40 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Love the hat, but you definitely deserve new mittens - which ones are you thinking of?

12:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're ahead of me - I just finally managed to buy the yarn for Rogue yesterday! And I still have no mittens or hat!

9:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I love the new mitten you're working on - beautiful!

8:54 PM  
Blogger T... said...

The idea of hiding sock yarn in the pantry is hilarious. I took over a closet with my yarn shelf by shelf hoping my boyfriend wouldn't notice that slowly the other junk was being condensed and moved and more yarn was replacing it. Now I have built up enough yarn so that he really can't tell whether the yarn is new or old so I just say - "it was in my stash" or "I've had this for a long time" to curtail any questions about the origin of some yarn I'm knitting with.

That stranded mitten is gorgeous - I really like the colors so much!

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home