Monday, February 20, 2006

happiness is.....

- the blast of hot air that greets me when I walk into the grocery store
- watching olympic curling
- my new Three Dog Designs Knitting bag (pictures once I can get them to come out)
- this view from my lap on Saturday at SPA

(the people that pair up with the wheels were all enjoying lunch)
- the post holiday candy sales

- one of the cats I sat on this weeked, trying to distract me from my knitting
- having today off and being able to sleep in and take a nap (so far so good at attempting to keep the cold at bay)
- that when my brakes needed replacing this week (grinding = bad, very very bad) I didn't need to be towed (again)

(picture from the last time I was towed)
- Jocele's Knitting on Call blog

My knitting olympics hat (scroll down to the "Kristen" hat) slowly grew this weekend and I was able to work on it while in the midst of other members of Team Boston on Saturday. All was going well until I got home and realized that my pattern hadn't made the return trip with me! Thoughts of disqualification due to pattern misplacement crossed my mind and I briefly considered trying to wing the two stranded design if needed. Jackie saved the day when she emailed me to let me know that she'd found it, and today while at work scanned in the pattern so I could keep working on it. I feel like this hat has been a comedy of errors but I do hope to get it finished within the next six days....(five now that today is almost over, eh?)

My first week of my psych rotation is done. At the end of day #1 I was pretty sure I didn't want to be a psychiatrist when I grow up. After three full days I was 100% certain I didn't want to do pscyh full time. By the close of Friday (day #5) I was just grateful to be able to take a break from the locked hospital unit for the three day holiday weekend. The patients aren't all awful, and I'm lucky that they aren't openly violent (which is what Mia is finding on her psych rotation) but the days are long and the situations are all new to me.

The despair, frustration, dellusions and/or racing thoughts that patients experience are mindboggling for me, and the corrective pharmacology could keep me reading chapters and articles each night for the next several weeks. We aren't sure how some of these drugs work, but the effects they can have on patients and their thoughts is nothing short of amazing - when they work.

Liz was the person who came closest to guessing how many socks I could make with my current sock yarn stash, but no one was actually near the correct number. Digging out all of the yarn was nothing short of a bit embarrassing and it's time for me to go through all of what I have an sort out what I will actually use in the next year or so. I am not yet sure what will happen to the yarn that I'm not in love with anymore, but there's a chance that it'll show up here - either for sale or for free/price of shipping. For now, I'm done buying sock yarn; the theory that it doesn't count anymore doesn't apply to this needs'to'move'again'this summer and just'replaced'very'expensive'brakes student!

9 Comments:

Blogger Pumpkinmama said...

Oh man - I was at SPA too (just for the day Sat.) I can't believe how many people I missed meeting up with. I guess I'm just oblivious.

10:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank goodness Jackie came to the rescue. Next yr, come for two days. Please.

11:51 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Look at all those wheels! I wish I could have gone! So, did you buy any sock yarn at SPA? ;)

8:23 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

What Laurie said - next year come for the weekend! It was wonderful to see you.

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah for Jackie!! I seriously gasped when you said you forgo the pattern since you told me all the woes of your hat. I watched curling on Sun morning, so nice to sit in my warm jammies after being out in the cold. So great to see you again. Maybe a planned trip to Halcyon (cause we live in Maine and have never been... losers!!) is in order??

PS: Next year we are both staying for the weekend!!

9:21 AM  
Blogger Martha said...

I worked at a university job once where we had a manic-depressive student in our lab. Her meds made her zombie-like, so she didn't take them and would go off on week-long benders. Finally, they changed her meds and she was a new person. On her graduation day, she told me she had hope for the future for the first time in her life. She could envision getting a job, having a stable relationship, etc., none of which she had ever thought she could have. Modern pharmacology is magic indeed, and probably saved that girl's life. She did get a job and moved on and I just hope she's still doing as well.

12:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sad I missed Spa. I'm determined to get there next year. Anyway, did I tell you I'm now addicted to the dried mango thingies? Yum. Thank you. :-)

12:19 PM  
Blogger Jocele said...

Holy cow. Thanks for seriously making my day!! You always have just great happy thoughts. I'm honored to be among them. And on a medical note...on my psych rotation, I met George Washington. His parents were Mary Poppins and Winston Churchill. AND...he lived in Dennis the Menace's house. Have a great day.

1:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So many things to be grateful for! Mental illness is so frustrating and so sad--modern medicine has made amazing strides in helping to fill the biochemical gaps. Am glad you are still in the running for the Knitting Olympics. I, on the other hand, seem to have misplaced my sense of reality at the time of committing to an Olympic event. By the way, speaking of chocolate, please email me with your current address--I've had something sitting here for you...

5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home