Saturday, February 12, 2005

Weekend Knitting

Yes, I did manage to get some knitting done during my extra time "off" the past few days, though I don't have a lot to show for it!

I started a pair of socks for my mom, and after some research decided to tackle a short row garter stitch heel. (It was the Doily Maven's Chocolate socks that convinced me to try it!) Now that I have one done I'm not sure I love it. I used contrasting yarn (as was recommended for a first-timer) and the jury is out on if I'll leave it or take it out and do another type of heel or the same heel with the same color sock yarn. I finally passed off my mom's Christmas sweater (a month and a half later) and am aiming to get the socks done by my break in March.

I did some additional reading on twined knitting and learned that it isn't knit like fair isle; instead the yarn is twisted around itself and can be tangled easily while knitting. I don't mind undoing tangles if I have the time and energy, but going into a project I know might cause me a headache doesn't make sense right now! I have been knitting up a child's hat using a fair isle technique for color changes every other stitch. It's moving fast now that I have an idea what the rhythm should be, but my left hand contential is still looser then I want it to be. The Dulaan Project items are great for me to practice on!

I have two exams next week and two the week after - so my knitting has been punctuated with lots of open book studying. A month from now is our "spring break" and I have a few days "off" (read: time to crank on the board studying) before going to a conference in Reno. I hope it's warm out there - all of this snow and ice and wind gusts is overrated!

1 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

Well, hang in there. I just got back from Reno, and was reading your blog. I have been there girl. I think it is normal to question whether or not all this is worth it. Some advice from someone who has been there, you will always have days when you say -- why am I becoming a doctor, or why am I a doctor? For me, the pleasure I get from helping my patients is all worth it.

And on a knitting note, there is a yarn shop in Reno. I spent too much money. But it was fun, and a good break from my conference. Good luck with your exams.

1:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home