Tuesday, June 14, 2005

My Ode To Wool


the back of the picture reads: Kristen at the Common Ground Fair, 9/25/83. I was three and a half years old.

(see Too Much Wool for more details of the Ode To Wool)

“Let’s go look at the sheep!”
I imagine my parents said
it was a family day at the (organic) fair
and I was dressed in yellow and red.

my mom snapped the picture
though I was clearly unimpressed
maybe she could see the future
to when I’d be wool obsessed.

my love for sheep and wool
has definetly grown over the years
much like the girl in the picture
who is now planning her career.

knitting with wool is familiar
it’s also forgiving and warm
the possibilities are endless
(it’s the perfect relationship AND art form!)

I knit because I love to
and with yarn my apartment is full
I may dibble and dabble with cotton,
but I’ll give my heart to wool.



(I think I liked the ducks better that day. My mom sewed my entrie outfit - and the vest is made of Gonk corduroy material. I loved the Gonks, and everything made from that material has been saved for my future kids. Note that I used to be blonde, and that cowlick (one of many) is the reason why I'll never again have bangs.) Posted by Hello

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kristen, this is fantastic. Thank you!

1:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a lovely picture of you as a kid! No wonder you are a fibre fan - those sheep gotcha.

Funny, my hair is very dark brown now (well, the bits that are not going grey), and I used to be blonde as a child too.

1:46 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Excellent poem & pics! Ducks were my first love too (duh!) but nothing compares to the sheepies.
(btw, if you were born in '33, you'd be 72)

2:34 PM  
Blogger Katy said...

How cute is that?
But I have to say that I don't know anything about Gonks. You may have to enlighten some of us in another post.

2:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was a kid I had a stuffed Gonk that my mother made for me. It's still somewhere up in the attic. I had no idea that Gonk's existed outside of my memories.

3:20 PM  
Blogger J. said...

You are adorable!

3:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great look at early influences! Do you get back to Common Ground now? Quite unique event!

Woolybuns

7:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cassie should just give you the prize!!

11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A med student who knits, spins, and writes poetry. You will be a Renaissance physician...the best kind.

8:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the last stanza -- says it all!

8:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great poem and great pictures!!

It was so nice to meet you last weekend. I hope that you are enjoying your spindle and wool!

Have a great weekend!!

6:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful poem. Are you sure you want to be a Doctor and not a starving poet?

3:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh,girl, I'm late to your post having just found you from Liz's blog at Pocket Farm. But I was there at the Common Ground fair that same year! um. except I was a wee bit older, say er, 28? heh. Them shure was great old times. So glad to have found your blog.

3:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just found a pair of vintage infant overalls made in the same gonk cord and was wondering what they were. I bought it for my son because they were so cute!

9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home